Tank Heating

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.
Post Reply

Topic author
taylo00
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Tank Heating

Post by taylo00 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:32 pm

So, I have been fighting with my tank temps for a while. I have Zoo Med UTHs for all of my tanks, and they vary in size based on the tank they are in. My temps are still on the low side of good and my crabs are not very active. Can I use an approved form of insulation to cover the front and sides of the tank (not where the heat pads are) and attempt to raise the heat that way? Would this even work?

Thanks for any and all advice. I cannot afford more heat mats or different UTHs right now.

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Tank Heating

Post by fandt94 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:35 pm

taylo00 wrote:So, I have been fighting with my tank temps for a while. I have Zoo Med UTHs for all of my tanks, and they vary in size based on the tank they are in. My temps are still on the low side of good and my crabs are not very active. Can I use an approved form of insulation to cover the front and sides of the tank (not where the heat pads are) and attempt to raise the heat that way? Would this even work?

Thanks for any and all advice. I cannot afford more heat mats or different UTHs right now.
You can insulate around the ZooMeds, yes.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Tank Heating

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:05 pm

fandt94 wrote:
taylo00 wrote:So, I have been fighting with my tank temps for a while. I have Zoo Med UTHs for all of my tanks, and they vary in size based on the tank they are in. My temps are still on the low side of good and my crabs are not very active. Can I use an approved form of insulation to cover the front and sides of the tank (not where the heat pads are) and attempt to raise the heat that way? Would this even work?

Thanks for any and all advice. I cannot afford more heat mats or different UTHs right now.
You can insulate around the ZooMeds, yes.
What are good methods to use for insulating? I have one I need to insulate and then I need to get another because “Winter is coming.”


Topic author
taylo00
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Re: Tank Heating

Post by taylo00 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:27 pm

I've heard many people use Reflectix (a type of aluminum insulation sheet) to cover the side of their tank where the UTH is located. I don't know how well it works though. I too am looking for a fix for this problem.

User avatar

LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Tank Heating

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:34 pm

Just saw this post from Mötorcrab in another thread:

I secure my heaters with the go to, duct tape. I have mine mounted as as high as possible and all the way to one side of the tank. I purchased a thin sheet of Poly Pro foam insulation board (about $10 for a 4 X 8 sheet) and covered the ultratherm and entire back of the tank with it. That helped direct a lot of heat back into the tank. Once again I used duct tape to hold that too.

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Tank Heating

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:09 am

ApePlanet wrote:Just saw this post from Mötorcrab in another thread:

I secure my heaters with the go to, duct tape. I have mine mounted as as high as possible and all the way to one side of the tank. I purchased a thin sheet of Poly Pro foam insulation board (about $10 for a 4 X 8 sheet) and covered the ultratherm and entire back of the tank with it. That helped direct a lot of heat back into the tank. Once again I used duct tape to hold that too.
This was used to go OVER an ultra therm...with the OP, she has a ZoomMed heat pad that cannot be insulated over it...only around it. That being said you can definitely use cardboard and foam ...just not over a ZooMed one or any other type of pad type.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

Hermie escape artist
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Tank Heating

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:13 am

ApePlanet wrote:Just saw this post from Mötorcrab in another thread:

I secure my heaters with the go to, duct tape. I have mine mounted as as high as possible and all the way to one side of the tank. I purchased a thin sheet of Poly Pro foam insulation board (about $10 for a 4 X 8 sheet) and covered the ultratherm and entire back of the tank with it. That helped direct a lot of heat back into the tank. Once again I used duct tape to hold that too.
On the outside of the tank? and u can cover the ultratherm?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

Hermie escape artist
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Tank Heating

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:20 am

fandt94 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:Just saw this post from Mötorcrab in another thread:

I secure my heaters with the go to, duct tape. I have mine mounted as as high as possible and all the way to one side of the tank. I purchased a thin sheet of Poly Pro foam insulation board (about $10 for a 4 X 8 sheet) and covered the ultratherm and entire back of the tank with it. That helped direct a lot of heat back into the tank. Once again I used duct tape to hold that too.
This was used to go OVER an ultra therm...with the OP, she has a ZoomMed heat pad that cannot be insulated over it...only around it. That being said you can definitely use cardboard and foam ...just not over a ZooMed one or any other type of pad type.
Can someone google a pic on ebay or somewhere if a ultratherm so i know what heater im looking for

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Tank Heating

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:37 am

fandt94 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:Just saw this post from Mötorcrab in another thread:

I secure my heaters with the go to, duct tape. I have mine mounted as as high as possible and all the way to one side of the tank. I purchased a thin sheet of Poly Pro foam insulation board (about $10 for a 4 X 8 sheet) and covered the ultratherm and entire back of the tank with it. That helped direct a lot of heat back into the tank. Once again I used duct tape to hold that too.
This was used to go OVER an ultra therm...with the OP, she has a ZoomMed heat pad that cannot be insulated over it...only around it. That being said you can definitely use cardboard and foam ...just not over a ZooMed one or any other type of pad type.
Oh sorry to give misinformation. So you cannot insulate heat pads like ZooMed and Ultratherm?

User avatar

curlysister
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Tank Heating

Post by curlysister » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:59 am

You can insulate OVER an Ultratherm.

You can only insulate AROUND a Zoo Med, you can not put the insulating material over top of the actual heater.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Tank Heating

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:18 pm

curlysister wrote:You can insulate OVER an Ultratherm.

You can only insulate AROUND a Zoo Med, you can not put the insulating material over top of the actual heater.
^^^this...by heat pads I meant any other heat pad that was like ZooMed...Zilla makes heat pads also and they cannot be insulated over them. Sorry for any confusion. Ultratherms CAN be insulated OVER them. I believe heat tape can also?? I don’t know the different brands of ultratherms but I have a Vivarium from Reptile Basics.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

Hermie escape artist
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Tank Heating

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:29 pm

fandt94 wrote:
curlysister wrote:You can insulate OVER an Ultratherm.

You can only insulate AROUND a Zoo Med, you can not put the insulating material over top of the actual heater.
^^^this...by heat pads I meant any other heat pad that was like ZooMed...Zilla makes heat pads also and they cannot be insulated over them. Sorry for any confusion. Ultratherms CAN be insulated OVER them. I believe heat tape can also?? I don’t know the different brands of ultratherms but I have a Vivarium from Reptile Basics.
Does anyone use heat tape ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


Topic author
taylo00
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Re: Tank Heating

Post by taylo00 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Is it helpful to insulate around the ZooMed heating pad? I just bought some Reflectix and insulation tape. Should I cut out close around the heating pad or leave a gap?

User avatar

LeeHasCrabs
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Tank Heating

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:35 pm

taylo00 wrote:Is it helpful to insulate around the ZooMed heating pad? I just bought some Reflectix and insulation tape. Should I cut out close around the heating pad or leave a gap?
What did you end up doing Tayo00?

Post Reply