Question re: adding substrate

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
fandt94

Question re: adding substrate

Post by fandt94 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:19 pm

I want to add some substrate over the next few days and I know I can do an inch at a time and not pack it down. My question is, because I can’t pack it down, will I need to daily mist it to keep it from drying out?
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Hermiesguardian

Re: Question re: adding substrate

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:31 pm

fandt94 wrote:I want to add some substrate over the next few days and I know I can do an inch at a time and not pack it down. My question is, because I can’t pack it down, will I need to daily mist it to keep it from drying out?
It should already be moist. Same as when you added substrate to begin with.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
fandt94 wrote:I want to add some substrate over the next few days and I know I can do an inch at a time and not pack it down. My question is, because I can’t pack it down, will I need to daily mist it to keep it from drying out?
It should already be moist. Same as when you added substrate to begin with.
That’s what I figured but wasn’t sure if not packing it down would cause it to lose moisture faster
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:27 pm

So just wanted to quickly update that I added 1 inch of substrate earlier today and instantly noticed a boost in humidity that has held all day without any misting! Some may know I posted a few days ago about having issues with maintaining humidity with the weather here being more Fall like so I’m excited that maybe this seems to be helping fix that issue. Adding more tomorrow until I get to where I was before it all settled.