Ultra therm uth

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Ultra therm uth

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Question... added a pic about heating with the uth but ultra therm .. ab oi ur heating through the substrate said about it could over heat because of thick susbstrare

so should I get a heating bad that is not my whole entire back side of my tank???
Do yours cover the whole back of ur tank or ???

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: Ultra therm uth

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:18 pm

I have mine only covering from top of the substrate up to the top of tank. I guess it's because of something I read on here. But different people have different views. This way makes sense to me since it doesn't dry out the sub.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:32 pm

Agree with the above. Everything I have read is that it will dry out the substrate if you put it underneath or all the way across the back. While that is fine with an actual reptile it is not good for hermits as they require the moist substrate for their tunnels. I think some do put it the entire length and height of the back but then I believe you will have to pour water to avoid it drying out. That wasn’t something I wanted to do and worry about so mine goes from the top rear of the tank to about an inch or 2 above my substrate. I’m currently in the process of adding more substrate because mine has settled a bit so once that’s done it will be up to the bottom of the UTH. What size tank do you have?
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Mine have always covered the entire back including the substrate. It's the only way my tanks will stay warm enough in winter! A half pad barely bakes a dent.

It also gives them the option of molting in warmer temperatures, as a pad that is only warming the air will only warm the substrates for a few inches at the top. This means that the very bottom of the tank will be room temperature, which in my case is in the 60s for almost half the year. Heating the sub along the back allows them a gradient to choose from while still letting them bury as deep as they want.

It also boosts the humidity in the tank through evaporation, and can easily be managed by adding more water to the sub along the back when needed. My tank is always at 80-90% RH and all I have to fo is toss a cup of water in ever other week.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:I have mine only covering from top of the substrate up to the top of tank. I guess it's because of something I read on here. But different people have different views. This way makes sense to me since it doesn't dry out the sub.
That's what I was thinking... but worried if it will be hot enough!!

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:41 pm

fandt94 wrote:Agree with the above. Everything I have read is that it will dry out the substrate if you put it underneath or all the way across the back. While that is fine with an actual reptile it is not good for hermits as they require the moist substrate for their tunnels. I think some do put it the entire length and height of the back but then I believe you will have to pour water to avoid it drying out. That wasn’t something I wanted to do and worry about so mine goes from the top rear of the tank to about an inch or 2 above my substrate. I’m currently in the process of adding more substrate because mine has settled a bit so once that’s done it will be up to the bottom of the UTH. What size tank do you have?

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:43 pm

wodesorel wrote:Mine have always covered the entire back including the substrate. It's the only way my tanks will stay warm enough in winter! A half pad barely bakes a dent.

It also gives them the option of molting in warmer temperatures, as a pad that is only warming the air will only warm the substrates for a few inches at the top. This means that the very bottom of the tank will be room temperature, which in my case is in the 60s for almost half the year. Heating the sub along the back allows them a gradient to choose from while still letting them bury as deep as they want.

It also boosts the humidity in the tank through evaporation, and can easily be managed by adding more water to the sub along the back when needed. My tank is always at 80-90% RH and all I have to fo is toss a cup of water in ever other week.
I've heard this before to which is why I asked the question because I was confused....

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:44 pm

wodesorel wrote:Mine have always covered the entire back including the substrate. It's the only way my tanks will stay warm enough in winter! A half pad barely bakes a dent.

Um how would I dump a cup of water on ...?? Just randomly on the side / back of the tank where the heating pad is over the substrate ??

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:40 pm

Im wondering if I may have to do the same come winter. My temps haven’t been a problem as of yet but obviously it’s not the dead of winter either. It just makes me nervous about having to add water because I’m super paranoid about flooding and bacterial blooms...being so new to this everything makes me nervous.

I know everyone has their opinions and experiences so I like seeing what others do.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:46 pm

fandt94 wrote:

Im wondering if I may have to do the same come winter. My temps haven’t been a problem as of yet but obviously it’s not the dead of winter either. It just makes me nervous about having to add water because I’m super paranoid about flooding and bacterial blooms...being so new to this everything makes me nervous.

I know everyone has their opinions and experiences so I like seeing what others do.
Same I'm worried about winter... and it coming soon !!! Trying to buy before hand !! Worried about the dumping water in randomly

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Where do you live? I’m from PA and was thinking of doing the same or placing the bottom of the UTH halfway down the substrate.

Also, what do you use to adhere the heat pad to the tank and do you insulate it? If so is it with Reflectix or something else?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:39 pm

I'm in NE Ohio so we have some wicked winters. The bedroom where they are is also a converted sun porch and I do like it cold at night so temps into the 50s have happened.

I insulate the back and top with a layer or two of cardboard covered in two layers of aluminum foil, and the top piece gets wrapped in thick plastic since it's sitting on a screen lid.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:00 pm

I’m now thinking of putting a small UTH to cover the substrate in the back only halfway across the tank...my worry is how will I know the substrate is drying out? And two, will pouring a small amount of water along the back harm anyone under? My crabs tend to burrow and dig along the back wall.

P.S. I’m in NW Indiana so our winters can be fiercely cold too!

ha_haley

Post by ha_haley » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 pm

I’m also in Indiana and I’m definitely considering at least one of UTH, but for the side(s). I’m working on insulation tomorrow because it already dropped down in the 30’s last night and I fell asleep with my windows wide open and my tanks got on the chilly side won’t make that mistake again! Hopefully the insulation will be enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 pm

My substrate is perfect o dont wanna mess it up .. and im.scarted to poor a cup or water randomly into the tank .....