Ultra therm uth

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

LeeHasCrabs

Re: Ultra therm uth

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Random question/thought: Has anyone put a UTH on the backside AND on the side of their tanks? I ask because right now I have a 20 gal and need an UTH for the back of it (I have a ZooMed, but want an Ultratherm). But I purchased a 55gal and an Ultratherm for the back of that one. I was wondering if when I convert completely over to the 55 I could use the smaller UTH on the side and . the larger one on the back. Maybe it'll be too much? Just looking to be economical but also smart at the same time. TY!

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:04 pm

If u pour water along the back ... does it soak in the whole substrate..cause dont the whole substrate dry out... sorry worries me

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Hermie escape artist wrote:If u pour water along the back ... does it soak in the whole substrate..cause dont the whole substrate dry out... sorry worries me

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I'm not quite sure as I haven't done this before.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:07 pm

ha_haley wrote:I’m also in Indiana and I’m definitely considering at least one of UTH, but for the side(s). I’m working on insulation tomorrow because it already dropped down in the 30’s last night and I fell asleep with my windows wide open and my tanks got on the chilly side Image won’t make that mistake again! Hopefully the insulation will be enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where at in Indiana? It’s cold here too...although my tank temp is holding nicely. I have a UTH across the back above the sub and a small ZooMed on the side also above...I was thinking of maybe getting another UTH heat *some* of the sub during winter months as we only keep out house at about 68 so that means underground will be that or less...

The UTH I have on the back is insulated with cardboard and foil and seems to be holding up so far for tank temp...I also drape a towel over that at night.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 pm

ApePlanet wrote:Random question/thought: Has anyone put a UTH on the backside AND on the side of their tanks? I ask because right now I have a 20 gal and need an UTH for the back of it (I have a ZooMed, but want an Ultratherm). But I purchased a 55gal and an Ultratherm for the back of that one. I was wondering if when I convert completely over to the 55 I could use the smaller UTH on the side and . the larger one on the back. Maybe it'll be too much? Just looking to be economical but also smart at the same time. TY!
I don’t see a problem with that...I would probably first see if the UTH along the back will be enough...but there’s no harm adding a small one on the side. On my current tank I have a small ZooMed along the one side.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ha_haley

Post by ha_haley » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:16 pm

fandt94 wrote:
ha_haley wrote:I’m also in Indiana and I’m definitely considering at least one of UTH, but for the side(s). I’m working on insulation tomorrow because it already dropped down in the 30’s last night and I fell asleep with my windows wide open and my tanks got on the chilly side Image won’t make that mistake again! Hopefully the insulation will be enough!

Where at in Indiana? It’s cold here too...although my tank temp is holding nicely. I have a UTH across the back above the sub and a small ZooMed on the side also above...I was thinking of maybe getting another UTH heat *some* of the sub during winter months as we only keep out house at about 68 so that means underground will be that or less...

The UTH I have on the back is insulated with cardboard and foil and seems to be holding up so far for tank temp...I also drape a towel over that at night.
Lafayette Image it was like 33 last night and I keep waking up because I freezing but I was too lazy to get up and close my windows ImageImageI don’t think it’ll hurt to go two UTHs for the winter! We keep our house like 70-73 and I’m hoping the cardboard and foil thing will be enough for insulation otherwise I’m going for a second UTH. I keep a quilt on top of my tank at all times and it seems to help a bit!

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 pm

ha_haley wrote:
fandt94 wrote:

Lafayette Image it was like 33 last night and I keep waking up because I freezing but I was too lazy to get up and close my windows ImageImageI don’t think it’ll hurt to go two UTHs for the winter! We keep our house like 70-73 and I’m hoping the cardboard and foil thing will be enough for insulation otherwise I’m going for a second UTH. I keep a quilt on top of my tank at all times and it seems to help a bit!

Lol at being too lazy to close the windows! I know the feeling...I’m glad I closed most of mine before it got too cold...but i left some cracked so it was pretty chilly in the am! Idk if tank size makes a difference or not but I think you will be good with that insulation...I figured I would double up that insulation if it needs. I only cover the back and like a quarter of the top with the towel/blanket. I noticed if I kept my entire top covered also the humidity dropped.

P.s. I’m in NW Indiana :wink:

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:32 pm

fandt94 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:Random question/thought: Has anyone put a UTH on the backside AND on the side of their tanks? I ask because right now I have a 20 gal and need an UTH for the back of it (I have a ZooMed, but want an Ultratherm). But I purchased a 55gal and an Ultratherm for the back of that one. I was wondering if when I convert completely over to the 55 I could use the smaller UTH on the side and . the larger one on the back. Maybe it'll be too much? Just looking to be economical but also smart at the same time. TY!
I don’t see a problem with that...I would probably first see if the UTH along the back will be enough...but there’s no harm adding a small one on the side. On my current tank I have a small ZooMed along the one side.
Thanks! I could always resell it but not sure what I would get for it or if anyone would want it. I’m thinking I’m going to keep them in the 20 until next Spring. There’s like 3-4 down so I don’t want to disturb them.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:42 pm

ApePlanet wrote:
fandt94 wrote:
Thanks! I could always resell it but not sure what I would get for it or if anyone would want it. I’m thinking I’m going to keep them in the 20 until next Spring. There’s like 3-4 down so I don’t want to disturb them.
I’m keeping mine in their current tank until Spring as well.