Too much humidity? Pinkie Mice?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
dorkamongus

Too much humidity? Pinkie Mice?

Post by dorkamongus » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Oddly enough I think my humidity is staying too high 90%+ no matter the time of day/night I've had it get to 100% and had to let it vent. My temps are staying 78f at night and up to 82f during the day. I recently changed the bubbler pools to slightly smaller than was originally in there. When i had the other pools they were deeper but humidity was at perfect 80-85%. They are more active and using the smaller pools but I am unsure if the humidity needs to come down and at what % is too much if that's even a thing to worry about maybe I'm just totally crazy. I have a small uth to add to the side if needed for winter (have a large one on the back already) maybe I should add it now and see if that helps? I'm so confused and worried but they seem happier they are digging and having mischievous parties while i sleep, just rather be safe than sorry. Also, has anyone fed dead pinkie mice? seen a post elsewhere someone had done this the hermie in the video seemed to love it. I was thinking of getting a frozen one to thaw and offer as a treat maybe once a month. Thanks for any info.

CrabHappens

Re: Too much humidity? Pinkie Mice?

Post by CrabHappens » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:01 pm

I do not see anyhing wrong with a pinkie mouse, if you can stomach the gore after. They find dead carrion in their native habitat all the time. Expect to maybe have it carried off and buried, mine sometimes do that with stuff they like a lot. High humidity is not a problem at all, as long as mold isn't taking over the tank. Mold is not normally harmful to crabs, but can be to us if we inhale the spores. So be careful :) and don't worry too much about high humidity- it is too low that is dangerous for them.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Too much humidity? Pinkie Mice?

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:13 pm

My humidity stays at 99% with no ill effects.

Yes. I have done pinky mice. I purchased frozen and thawed. it. Always a hit.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com