Poop in wheel

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Poop in wheel

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:12 pm

How do you clean poop out of the wheel when there's always someone in it? I noticed a ton of poop in the wheel yesterday. And boy, their poop is long.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

fandt94

Re: Poop in wheel

Post by fandt94 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:06 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:How do you clean poop out of the wheel when there's always someone in it? I noticed a ton of poop in the wheel yesterday. And boy, their poop is long.
I have no idea but just wanted to say that after all these weeks I’m finally finding poop! In shells, in the food dish...it’s everywhere lately!!! Lol
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:50 am

I remember seeing those little scooper things like tiny cat litter scoops and thinking “why would I need that for a hermit crab?”. They sure do poop a lot, but it must be a good thing. I use a snail shell that I won’t put in there for them to scoop it up. I don’t have a wheel yet but I’m going to get one soon. Maybe put a paper towel under the wheel and use an old tooth brush to brush it into a paper towel? You’d have to do it when someone wasn’t in the wheel though.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:34 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:I remember seeing those little scooper things like tiny cat litter scoops and thinking “why would I need that for a hermit crab?”. They sure do poop a lot, but it must be a good thing. I use a snail shell that I won’t put in there for them to scoop it up. I don’t have a wheel yet but I’m going to get one soon. Maybe put a paper towel under the wheel and use an old tooth brush to brush it into a paper towel? You’d have to do it when someone wasn’t in the wheel though.

I could easily take out the wheel to clean it. But there's always someone in it. During the day 1 or 2 sleep in it.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:41 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
I could easily take out the wheel to clean it. But there's always someone in it. During the day 1 or 2 sleep in it.
Oh, I’m sorry. I thought maybe you were looking for ideas on how to clean it without removing it from the tank. They must really love their wheel if they sleep in it, that is so cute. Are they ok with you near them or are they scared? Could you sweep around them with an old toothbrush? Then you could at least get some of it out.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:04 pm

The toothbrush is a good Idea, but once every two months maybe I take mine out and give it a good rinse. They get kinda bogged down with sand.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:37 pm

I think I'm just gonna have to move him. Gently of course.