Newbie needing advice on humidity

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabby_granny

Newbie needing advice on humidity

Post by Crabby_granny » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:24 am

I'm finding it difficult to keep the tank humidity at 80% or 85%. I keep a damp cloth over the top screen, but the humidity reading is usually in the 60's and 70's. I don't think my hermies are happy since I hardly ever see them. :(
Help, please?

Hyenafan

Re: Newbie needing advice on humidity

Post by Hyenafan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:32 am

Sphagnum moss could help.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:26 am

What kind of lid do you have? You can seal it with saran wrap and tape it down. Or plexiglass. You can use bubblers in your pools. Does your substrate have sandcastle consistancy?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Crabby_granny

Post by Crabby_granny » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:42 am

My water dishes are too shallow for a bubbler. (I don't know what that is, but sounds large). The sand is dry and the top is a screen that I keep mostly covered with a damp cloth. I will try the moss, but how do I get the sand to sandcastle consistency? Sorry to be so stupid. :oops:

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:40 am

Crabby_granny wrote:My water dishes are too shallow for a bubbler. (I don't know what that is, but sounds large). The sand is dry and the top is a screen that I keep mostly covered with a damp cloth. I will try the moss, but how do I get the sand to sandcastle consistency? Sorry to be so stupid. :oops:
Not stupid at all. Just learning. The towel will just absorb the humidity. Cover the screen with saran wrap and tape the edges with duct tape or package tape. Are any of your crabs buried? If not you can take them out, put them in a conrainer they can't crawl out of, and add dechlorinated fresh or salt water to the substrate until it's sandcastle consistancy. If you squeeze it and it drips it's too wet.
If you fill out the emergency template then we can get an idea of your set up and help you better.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=46102
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Definately put saran wrap over the top of the tank! Even if crabs are buried, you can add small amounts of dechlorinated fresh water (I don't do more than half a cup at a time) - just pour it along the side of the substrate where it meets the glass.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Crabby_granny

Post by Crabby_granny » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:51 pm

I have sand substrate 4 " deep. I did put the damp towel over the screen top of aquarium then covered that with stretch and seal. (Un)fortunately, that worked very well as the humidity is up to 87%. Tank temp is 83°. All the crabs stay hidden under the sand all day. Two, the bigger ones come out at night. The biggest is quarter size and the smallest is little larger than nickel size.
I have 2 water dishes-salt water and fresh that I buy at Petco. I have a small sponge in each one. Once a week I change out the water and wash the sponges taking care to thoroughly dry dishes and sponges before adding new. I have never cleaned their 10gal. aquarium tank. I have had my hermies for a month now. They eat a mineral thing, hermie food and catawpa(sp?) leaves. I hope I have answered your questions. I really appreciate all the help and advice.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:55 pm

87% is a good humidity! I didn't have a lid on either of my first two tanks, I only used saran wrap.

You can probably improve a few things in your tank. Sponges are not needed, and often just grow bacteria. What do you use for the fresh water? Water should be treated with a dechlorinator such as Prime, both for the fresh and salt waters. Most of us use Instant Ocean for the salt water - what is the brand of salt water that you buy at Petco? Most products that are marketed for hermit crabs aren't actually safe for them. Crabs need marine salt water, not aquarium salt water.
Most commercial foods are not safe. The 'hermie food' that you bought probably has additives that are not safe. What is the 'mineral thing'? Crabs need calcium and protein sources every day, as well as organic fruits and vegetables. Lots of good info can be found in the FAQ and Care Sheets section:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... m.php?f=51

How many crabs do you have total? How many extra shells for them?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Crabby_granny

Post by Crabby_granny » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:05 am

I have 3 crabs and 3 extra shells, but one got into the bigger shell, and went back into the smaller shell. The water is Imagitarium Saltwater Hydration and Freshwater Hydration. The food is Wholesome Hermit Crab Food by Eco Animal Pet Products.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:39 pm

I honestly don't know about those water products - I hope that an admin can weigh in. If it's aquarium salt, it might be missing a number of elements that crabs need.
The ingredients of that food don't have any additives or preservatives, so look okay!

The HCA recommends 3 to 5 extra shells per crab. More is better too! Check out the shells section for more info on proper shells.