Water pool(s) question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
fandt94

Water pool(s) question

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:39 am

Weeks ago I made bigger pools but have yet to put them in because of a crab down. In the past few days I have been thinking of renovations as it’s still down. I’ve started to worry that the pools I made are too large for a 29g. Been going over and over in my head where I’d put them without taking up too much space and it’s driving me crazy. Anyhow, my question is, do they both need to be the same size? I was thinking of using one of the newer ones for salt and then just keeping the current smaller one for fresh...at the very least until the molter comes up and then maybe I can make enough room for both bigger pools.

Sidebar question (lol)....I’ve been adding substrate every other day or so but not all over because there are day *holes* in a couple areas and I wasn’t sure if it was okay to put a little sand over said *holes*? I especially have a HUGE gap....ravine in the back at least a couple inches from the bottom of the UTH and I’m dying to add some sand there but am afraid to. Any advice?
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Hermiesguardian

Re: Water pool(s) question

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:32 am

The pools can be different sizes but still deep enough so they can fully submerge. Can you put them on top of the substrate instead of buried. That's what I will do next time I do a tank. So they have more underground space. You will probably always have at least 1 crab down. And, no, you cant put sand on top of a hole. Darn those holes! They're all over the place in my tanks. It's hard to even find a spot for the food dish.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
fandt94

Re: Water pool(s) question

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:The pools can be different sizes but still deep enough so they can fully submerge. Can you put them on top of the substrate instead of buried. That's what I will do next time I do a tank. So they have more underground space. You will probably always have at least 1 crab down. And, no, you cant put sand on top of a hole. Darn those holes! They're all over the place in my tanks. It's hard to even find a spot for the food dish.
Ty! Yes....dang holes for sure! I have one under an above sub salt pool....a HUGE ravine along the back wall....and another....crater on the right rear....it’s driving me bonkers to only be able to add sub to the front half and the right side lol

On another note I think I will put a new saltwater pool above the sub or only partly in. I bought some smaller Plastic dishes, but a little deeper than the other ones I made. Eventually I will be upgrading to the 55 g I bought but I’m going to wait until Spring....maybe then I will use the larger pools. I’m still also debating on doing the bubblers in this tank because the pools are small....decisions, decisions!!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed