Finally got them switched over.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Re: Finally got them switched over.

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:25 am

I saw one I liked with the larger holes on the sides and I wanted a bigger piece like that and with the root type ends. So I asked him and he sent me pictures, I couldn’t pick so I had to get them both. He is a great seller, very helpful, I’ll definitely be buying from him again in the future.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:39 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:I saw one I liked with the larger holes on the sides and I wanted a bigger piece like that and with the root type ends. So I asked him and he sent me pictures, I couldn’t pick so I had to get them both. He is a great seller, very helpful, I’ll definitely be buying from him again in the future.

Thanks for the info!...I’m going to order some soon!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:54 am

My Bob changed out of that orange striped shell! I’m so happy! Only one painted shell left on my Crabina that is down right now in the other tank. I had my fiancé lift the tank up and I looked under with a bright flashlight. I saw her, she moved back like get that light out of here, she doesn’t look like she has molted. I do sneak peeks in the middle of the night and I haven’t seen her out. I don’t think I’d be able to tell if she is coming up and it doesn’t look like she’s eating. I want to dig her out and put her in the other tank so bad.

My Bob’s new shell. I was hoping he would pick the shiny green turbo that I bought from PinchersAndShells but he picked my second favorite brown one. He’s all pretty for his lady friends.

I actually like how the end of it is chipped off revealing the white that’s underneath.

Last edited by RiNiKy506 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:56 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:My Bob changed out of that orange striped shell! I’m so happy! Only one painted shell left on my Crabina that is down right now in the other tank. I had my fiancé lift the tank up and I looked under with a bright flashlight. I saw her, she moved back like get that light out of here, she doesn’t look like she has molted. I do sneak peeks in the middle of the night and I haven’t seen her out. I don’t think I’d be able to tell if she is coming up and it doesn’t look like she’s eating. I want to dig her out and put her in the other tank so bad.

My Bob’s new shell. I was hoping he would pick the shiny green turbo that I bought from pinchersandshells but he picked my second favorite brown one. He’s all pretty for his lady friends.

Handsome devil!!

Which reminds me. I’ve always wanted to know how to tell a male PP (teeheehee) from a female PP. Do you know or just guess?

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:57 am

If you pick them up, let them stretch upside down. The females have two spots on each pair of their back legs, the males have nothing. I will find a photo and edit this post.

Here is the picture that worked best for me.

This is the site I got the info from.
https://hermit-crabs.com/sexing.html

I took them near a bright lamp and all of mine are friendly so they come out quickly. I let them stretch out and I thought it was easy to tell. I did a double check to be sure.

I just found an even better picture. Just type “female hermit crab” in your search engine.

Last edited by RiNiKy506 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:If you pick them up let them stretch upside down. The females have two spots on each pair of their back legs. The males have nothing. I will find a photo and edit this post.

Here is the picture that worked best for me.

This is the site I got the info from.
https://hermit-crabs.com/sexing.html

I took them near a bright lamp and all of mine are friendly so they come out quickly. I let them stretch out and I thought it was easy to tell. I did a double check to be sure.

Oh man. Thanks for the education! I’ll see if mine will cooperate. I have 3-4 down and my other buries during the day and come up around 1:30am then goes back under around 7am lol

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:10 am

ApePlanet wrote: Oh man. Thanks for the education! I’ll see if mine will cooperate. I have 3-4 down and my other buries during the day and come up around 1:30am then goes back under around 7am lol
No problem, I’m very happy that I actually know something to help someone. Image Looks like you’ll be having a late night/early morning trying to see if they’re male or female. Lol! I thought it was easy to tell once I was near the bright lamp. I got nervous when they stretched out like that that they’re going to fall out of their shells.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:12 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote: Oh man. Thanks for the education! I’ll see if mine will cooperate. I have 3-4 down and my other buries during the day and come up around 1:30am then goes back under around 7am lol
No problem, I’m very happy that I actually know something to help someone. Image Looks like you’ll be having a late night/early morning trying to see if they’re male or female. Lol! I thought it was easy to tell once I was near the bright lamp. I got nervous when they stretched out like that that they’re going to fall out of their shells.

We’ll see if Kingpin becomes Lady Kingpin, hahaha.

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:01 pm

ApePlanet wrote: We’ll see if Kingpin becomes Lady Kingpin, hahaha.
I know, right! I couldn’t believe that Bob, having his name, was our only male.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:11 am

Yay for Bob! Also congrats on the upgrade. :)

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:55 am

That is an amazing piece of cholla! Thanks for sharing the info! Tank looks great!
RiNiKy506 wrote:
curlysister wrote:Ooooo, I LOVE that huge piece of cholla wood - where did you get it??
I got them on eBay for $16.00 for both of them plus $10 shipping. I thought it was a great deal especially for how big and beautiful the pieces are. The seller is renegade*steve he’s got a lot of very nice pieces for sale. Squirt is inside of the one that I have going up to my smaller moss pit, I hope she’s not stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:49 pm

hprmom wrote:That is an amazing piece of cholla! Thanks for sharing the info! Tank looks great!
Thank you. Image