Questiom about heat again

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Questiom about heat again

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:06 pm

If I would get a little heat pad for now zoomed

Could I put it on top of the lid on the outside of course ... not to cold yet !! Or should I still put it on the back of the tank ???

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fandt94

Re: Questiom about heat again

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:01 pm

I’d still put it on the back or even the side if it’s a small one. They CAN be carefully removed and moved to other locations if done slowly and careful not to bend it. I moved my small one multiple times.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:09 pm

It can be placed on top. The thing is heat rises, so there will naturally be a 'hot pocket' underneath the UTH...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:41 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:It can be placed on top. The thing is heat rises, so there will naturally be a 'hot pocket' underneath the UTH...

True ! Lol ok ! Well ended up buying an ok sized one so might put on back .. not as big as I want but for now should be fine ! Thanks

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:41 pm

fandt94 wrote:I’d still put it on the back or even the side if it’s a small one. They CAN be carefully removed and moved to other locations if done slowly and careful not to bend it. I moved my small one multiple times.
Ya guess I will !!!! Thanks !

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:42 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:It can be placed on top. The thing is heat rises, so there will naturally be a 'hot pocket' underneath the UTH...

How do I start a moss pit ??????? Do I wet it do I put water in the pit ... have no clue I just bought live moss

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:04 pm

Hermie escape artist wrote:

How do I start a moss pit ??????? Do I wet it do I put water in the pit ... have no clue I just bought live moss

Yes. Soak it in dechlorinated fw and ring it out.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:

Ok thanks !!! Leave pretty wet though ??? Or ring it out as much as possible .... and how long ???

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Hermie escape artist wrote:How do I start a moss pit ??????? Do I wet it do I put water in the pit ... have no clue I just bought live moss

Ok thanks !!! Leave pretty wet though ??? Or ring it out as much as possible .... and how long ???

Can do either. Either way, it will release water vapour into the air and increase humdity...

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 pm

After the initial short soak I put it in the moss pit and mist as needed.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:54 pm

fandt94 wrote:After the initial short soak I put it in the moss pit and mist as needed.
K sounds good .... and that's just a container or whatever I find .. to make it .... and just moss in it .. k thanks Imagehope he likes it

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:55 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote: Yes. Soak it in dechlorinated fw and ring it out.

Can do either. Either way, it will release water vapour into the air and increase humdity...

Thanks

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 pm

fandt94 wrote:After the initial short soak I put it in the moss pit and mist as needed.
K sounds good .... and that's just a container or whatever I find .. to make it .... and just moss in it .. k thanks Imagehope he likes it

Many use shower caddies but I found some small plastic baskets at Dollar Tree...a set of 3 for $1 and I have it hanging with suction cups....it’s the white basket to the right in the pics I posted on your other thread.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:50 pm

fandt94 wrote:

Many use shower caddies but I found some small plastic baskets at Dollar Tree...a set of 3 for $1 and I have it hanging with suction cups....it’s the white basket to the right in the pics I posted on your other thread.
O Imageok thanks!!!