UTH dilemma

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
fandt94

UTH dilemma

Post by fandt94 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:43 pm

I’m posting because I’m debating on putting a UTH along the back to also cover the sub so I’m asking if people can weigh in their opinions/experiences and pros & cons. I’m also considering instead of along the back wall I’d cover the sub on one side...would that even have any benefit? Anyways....hope a few people weigh in so I can decide what to do :wink:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

RiNiKy506

UTH dilemma

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:15 pm

I have an ultratherm from my substrate up. My temp was at about 72, so I put a towel over the back and my temp is at 77-79. I am going to insulate the back with poly pro insulation board and in the dead of winter I’m probably going to need to get a smaller ultratherm for the side an insulate that too. I have a cheaper brand for backup incase it does get cold, to hold me until I need to see if I need another ultratherm or not. I am very happy with my ultratherm, I had a small zoo med and another off brand one on my small tank and I had to keep it covered a lot and it hasn’t even been as cold as it had been the past few nights. I’m really glad I went with the ultratherm, they’re cheaper than pet store ones, you can reuse them, and it really heats better.

Edit: That actually sounds like a great idea, to add one on the whole side. I didn’t realize that some where putting them on the whole back of the tank until after I had already ordered mine, either that or I just forgot. Maybe I will do that too, one on the whole side. You have a great thread question.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
fandt94

Re: UTH dilemma

Post by fandt94 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:21 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I have an ultratherm from my substrate up. My temp was at about 72, so I put a towel over the back and my temp is at 77-79. I am going to insulate the back with poly pro insulation board and in the dead of winter I’m probably going to need to get a smaller ultratherm for the side an insulate that too. I have a cheaper brand for backup incase it does get cold, to hold me until I need to see if I need another ultratherm or not. I am very happy with my ultratherm, I had a small zoo med and another off brand one on my small tank and I had to keep it covered a lot and it hasn’t even been as cold as it had been the past few nights. I’m really glad I went with the ultratherm, they’re cheaper than pet store ones, you can reuse them, and it really heats better.

Edit: That actually sounds like a great idea, to add one on the whole side. I didn’t realize that some where putting them on the whole back of the tank until after I had already ordered mine, either that or I just forgot. Maybe I will do that too, one on the whole side. You have a great thread question.

Currently mine covers from the sub up as well but someone mentioned on another older thread the benefits of having the sub warm in the winter months for digging and molting purposes. Basically that the sub will be about whatever your room temp is or lower and that’s quite chilly during the winter....but then...heating the sub also means it dries it out and I’d have to pour water every now and then along the back (or side depending on where I’d heat the sub as well) and that makes me nervous. My tank temp is holding steady @ 82 at the sub level but I’m sure underground is around 65-68 which is what my room temp is.

I guess my main question really is for those experienced who DON’T heat the sub, and live in areas where winters are cold and if it’s affected their crabs molting, etc.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Oh, I’m sorry. I know when I re-read your post that’s when I did the edit, I’m curious as well now too.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:28 pm

I've never heated my sub, I live in Ohio where it's usually below 32 degrees in winter. I haven't had temperature issues as far as molting goes.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:37 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:I've never heated my sub, I live in Ohio where it's usually below 32 degrees in winter. I haven't had temperature issues as far as molting goes.

That's all I'm worried about if there would be any problems molting ..... cause I wanna buy a ultra therm now but worried about the sub etc

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Most of us do not heat the sub. As long as tank temps are good, there shouldn't be a problem with the sub temp.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:02 pm

curlysister wrote:Most of us do not heat the sub. As long as tank temps are good, there shouldn't be a problem with the sub temp.
K I just ordered my ultra therm ..not planning to heat sub!

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks all

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Hermie escape artist wrote:
PinchersAndShells wrote:I've never heated my sub, I live in Ohio where it's usually below 32 degrees in winter. I haven't had temperature issues as far as molting goes.

That's all I'm worried about if there would be any problems molting ..... cause I wanna buy a ultra therm now but worried about the sub etc

I use an Ultratherm that covers all of the back of the tank that is above the substrate, and then I put insulation (cardboard wrapped in tin foil) over the entire back. It works well for me personally. (During the months that aren't winter I have to remove the insulation though.)

Captive Bred PP = Randy

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Hermie escape artist wrote:

I use an Ultratherm that covers all of the back of the tank that is above the substrate, and then I put insulation (cardboard wrapped in tin foil) over the entire back. It works well for me personally. (During the months that aren't winter I have to remove the insulation though.)

Hmmm...I like the idea of insulating the entire back (I only have the UTH itself insulated by that method)..yet not having the UTH itself covering the sub. When you do this do you end up having to pour water along the back to moisten the sub or no?

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:53 am

fandt94 wrote: Hmmm...I like the idea of insulating the entire back (I only have the UTH itself insulated by that method)..yet not having the UTH itself covering the sub. When you do this do you end up having to pour water along the back to moisten the sub or no?
No, I haven't had to.

Captive Bred PP = Randy

amanojakumo

Post by amanojakumo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:58 am

I raise my tank up on "Lego legs", (two blocks high, situated at each corner of the tank). There's about an inch to an inch and a half between my tank and the table it sits on.

I leave the under tank heater on the table and the heat builds up underneath warming the substrate and helping with the overall tank temp. Not being attached to the tank prevents cracking the tank or getting overly hot. I also have the reptitherm rheostat attached to keep the temp in check.