Adding a new substrate questions

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabby_granny

Adding a new substrate questions

Post by Crabby_granny » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:14 am

Do I need to remove my crabs to add 2" of coconut fiber substrate? Do I need to mix it into the sand?

RiNiKy506

Re: Adding a new substrate questions

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:28 am

If they are all up, you can remove them and add as much as you want, you don’t have to mix it, you can let them do the work. I’m not sure about when they are down. I think you can add little bits either once a week or a couple times a week, avoiding their holes.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:59 am

If any are down, you can add 1" per 24hrs. As long as you don't pack it down.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:11 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:If any are down, you can add 1" per 24hrs. As long as you don't pack it down.

Or remove items that are buried in the substrate :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:07 pm

So the adding 1" of additional substrate per day is to avoid disturbing molters and collapsing their tunnels? I guess it will help Isopods from being completely buried alive and not being able to dig out too.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Motörcrab wrote:So the adding 1" of additional substrate per day is to avoid disturbing molters and collapsing their tunnels? I guess it will help Isopods from being completely buried alive and not being able to dig out too.
Yes about the 1". I don't know anything about isopods. I'm sure someone else will have an answer to that.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi