ISO tank humidity and heat?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
_miranda

ISO tank humidity and heat?

Post by _miranda » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Hello! This is my first post here, it seems wonderful. These also happen to be my first hermit crabs ever, and I am having some issues with my iso tank’s humidity and temperature. The humidity (according to my digital hygrometer) is always up around 99%, but I’m having trouble keeping the temp up properly. I’ve been using heat bulbs thus far, and the first one wasn’t strong enough, but this heat emitter I have now cracked the glass top I had on the tank. The temp wasn’t high enough to hurt my lil crabbie, and the top didn’t fall apart thankfully. But I am having to use a mesh top now until I can replace it. Is there any advice anyone can offer a first time crabber?
Many thanks!

CrabHappens

Re: ISO tank humidity and heat?

Post by CrabHappens » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Under the tank heater, placed on the side of the tank above the substrate! Plexiglass or saran wrap on top holds in heat and humidity. Depening on the size of your tank, and how much it needs heated, I would recommend an Ultratherm, or Flukers, heating pad from reptilebasics.com or beanfarm.com. I believe ultratherms are stronger, it is what I have and mine work perfectly!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:21 pm

I’d recommend an ultratherms heater aka UTH. It’s so easy to use and works far better than heat lamps/bulbs. You just tape it along the back of your tank above the substrate and you can even insulate it if needed. Two great places to get one are http://www.reptilebasics.com and http://www.beanfarm.com. Get the size appropriate for your tank where it will go all across the back.

In the meantime you can Saran Wrap your mesh lid and tape it to the edges...that will mostly help with keeping your current humidity good but will also trap heat. You can warm towels in the dryer (without a dryer sheet) and drape those over the top and sides. I’ve even used a human heating pad to help before I got the right UTH.

I’m fairly new to this all myself so welcome! I’m sure someone else will pop in with some more advice! Oh, btw, did your heat bulb break also? If not you can hang the heat fixture above the tank as to not touch the lid...I have one as back up myself.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
_miranda

Post by _miranda » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Thank you all so much, I will definitely be ordering one. And no, the ceramic heat bulb didn’t break, so I was also thinking of getting a stand for it, so I will also look into that. I will Saran Wrap the mesh so the humidity and heat stay in until the under tank heater comes in. Thank you so much, I’ve been so nervous about this: I want so badly to make their lives as good as I possibly can!

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Welcome to the HCA! so glad you're here!!

they answered your question already, but I just wanted to say hello

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:13 am

Just wanted to add a welcome! UTH is the way to go—for me it’s been “set it and forget it” wonderful most of the year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Welcome to the HCA! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com