Clay pot in Habitat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Cinn

Clay pot in Habitat

Post by Cinn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:08 pm

I am a new crab owner, I got my crabs 5 days ago and haven’t seen them much at all. I have read that it is common not to see your crabs for awhile once your put them in their new home but I’m a bit worried. When setting up their tank I buried a clay terra-cotta pot at and angle (meant to allow easy climbing in and out) as a hide away for them. It’s at the deepest part of their tank and filled with substrate, also at an angle so that only the rim shows above the surface. I thought that this would be ok because they bury themselves. That pot hits the bottom of the tank and the deepest part of the tank is 6 inches. I did this to give them a nice place aHabitat burrow into and they seemed to like it. One instantly buried herself and the other took a couple days but is now fully buried. I’m worried that crabs may be trapped at the bottom of the pot and may not be able to climb out sense it’s at the deeper side of the tank ( although one crab was frequently moving in and out for the past few days). I didn’t want to look for them or uncover them for fear of stressing them out or Incase they are molting but I also want to make sure they are not trapped. Any advice would be appreciated

Hermiesguardian

Re: Clay pot in Habitat

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:20 pm

I would think they can dig themselves out of anywhere. The only thing I have experienced one time with a clay pot, which I half buried as a hide, was that it seemed to absorb the moisture of the substrate inside of it. The sand became very dry. So I removed it. It may not happen all the time. Maybe others can add their input.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Your substrate needs to be at least 6 inches deep (or 3x as deep as your biggest crab - whichever is deeper) even at the most shallow place.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:33 am

I wouldn’t worry...new crabs need to just destress and get used to things. I’m a newbie myself and all of mine have dug down...some for a short term and some longer because they probably needed to molt and held it off so long because of the wrong conditions. I’ve had 2 successful molts and now have 3 out of 4 down again...let them be...just keep maintaining food, salt and fresh water pools ....and wait....

Edited to say that mine have been under various things and I freaked out that it would crush them or they wouldn’t be able to get out....so far so good...
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:10 pm

I just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE HCA! :butterfly::

Please check out our care guides! :) As a new hermie owner, be prepared to worry about anything and everything! We are here to help you! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:51 am

Welcome to the HCA!!! :cheer:

First off, i definitely recommend deeper substrate. 6 inches minimum across the entire tank. If you only have 6 inches, i'd add more substrate to bury the clay pot.

I had a mason jar and a clay pot buried sideways in my tank before. They absolutely loved it. At first they were empty, but later i added some moss to give them something to climb. i didn't want them getting stuck since the surface was smooth and there was nothing for them to grab their claws onto.

When i got my first 2, they didn't come out of the coconut hide for a long time. they stayed hidden and barely ate anything. It took them a while to destress. If your crabs bury into the substrate, dont dig them up! They are fine. they're either destressing OR molting.

Here's the care guide for ALL species (i'm not sure what kind of crabs you have)
https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 51&t=92457

Here's the safe foods list:
https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 25&t=92557

The care guide for humidity:
https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 26&t=92544

and last but not least, the care guide for water:
https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 25&t=92553

Its A LOT of information to take in, but if you have ANY questions, please dont hesitate to ask!!! This forum is full of people that care and want to help any way they can! Good luck, and again, WELCOME!!! :)
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Cinn

Post by Cinn » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks a lot for all the advice!! One of my hermit crabs just emerged yesterday so I’m feeling less worried. I want to add the extra substrate but would it be a good idea to add it in while they are still in the tank? I didnt think it would be so If not I’ll have to wait till my other crab is out and about too so I know I’m not disturbing her molting or something. Also if anyone has any suggestions about how to safely secure a nonadhesive heating pad to the side of my tank that would be great. :crabbigsmile:

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Cinn wrote:Thanks a lot for all the advice!! One of my hermit crabs just emerged yesterday so I’m feeling less worried. I want to add the extra substrate but would it be a good idea to add it in while they are still in the tank? I didnt think it would be so If not I’ll have to wait till my other crab is out and about too so I know I’m not disturbing her molting or something. Also if anyone has any suggestions about how to safely secure a nonadhesive heating pad to the side of my tank that would be great. :crabbigsmile:
You can add an inch of substrate every 24hrs as long as you don't pat it down.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:24 am

Cinn wrote:Also if anyone has any suggestions about how to safely secure a nonadhesive heating pad to the side of my tank that would be great. :crabbigsmile:
Tape works fine.
Welcome to the HCA! :D
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/