Ultra therm

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.
User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Ultra therm

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Can I put blankets on top if my ultra therm .....??
Does anyone or has anyone needed or tried to get more then one ultra therm for ur tank or needed more than one .. I'm hoping not ...
Hoping to insulate ....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Ultra therm

Post by fandt94 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Depends on what brand you have? I currently have the one all across the back and added one to the one side as well....mine are able to be insulated.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Ultra therm

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:17 pm

fandt94 wrote:Depends on what brand you have? I currently have the one all across the back and added one to the one side as well....mine are able to be insulated.
They said I can insulate the one from reptile basics I think the ultra therm one ...
If I can insulate can I put blankets to ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Ultra therm

Post by fandt94 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Hermie escape artist wrote:
fandt94 wrote:Depends on what brand you have? I currently have the one all across the back and added one to the one side as well....mine are able to be insulated.
They said I can insulate the one from reptile basics I think the ultra therm one ...
If I can insulate can I put blankets to ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes. I have a lightweight blanket draped over the back of my tank with the already insulated UTH.

Which brand UTH did you end up getting? Just asking out of curiousity lol. I ended up putting the smaller one I had on my 10 gallon along the side just to give them another *warmer* spot to hang out and burrow because they ALL seem to like to hang out and burrow during the day along the back and it’s getting very messy back there lol
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Ultra therm

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 pm

fandt94 wrote:
Hermie escape artist wrote:
fandt94 wrote:Depends on what brand you have? I currently have the one all across the back and added one to the one side as well....mine are able to be insulated.
They said I can insulate the one from reptile basics I think the ultra therm one ...
If I can insulate can I put blankets to ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes. I have a lightweight blanket draped over the back of my tank with the already insulated UTH.

Which brand UTH did you end up getting? Just asking out of curiousity lol. I ended up putting the smaller one I had on my 10 gallon along the side just to give them another *warmer* spot to hang out and burrow because they ALL seem to like to hang out and burrow during the day along the back and it’s getting very messy back there lol
http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads

I have a uth from zoo med and it sucks !!!! Says for 20 gal but it's so small and it just sucks !!!!

So I went and bought the ultra therm from the website that they were telling me about the one I can insulate... do u have that one from the website or which one do u have ???

Didnt get to insulate yet I do use blankets those ! But I think insulating will do way more

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Ultra therm

Post by fandt94 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:55 pm

I bought mine from The Bean Farm but it’s very similar to yours
Image

If you have cardboard and aluminum foil you can go ahead and insulate using those items...cut the cardboard to the size of your UTH or bigger if the UTH is smaller than the back of your tank ...wrap it in foil shiny side out and tape that over the UTH.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Ultra therm

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:58 pm

fandt94 wrote:I bought mine from The Bean Farm but it’s very similar to yours
Image

If you have cardboard and aluminum foil you can go ahead and insulate using those items...cut the cardboard to the size of your UTH or bigger if the UTH is smaller than the back of your tank ...wrap it in foil shiny side out and tape that over the UTH.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok !!! Thanks !!! Ya nice !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

Motörcrab
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm
Location: Coal Region in Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Ultra therm

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:03 pm

I have two Ultratherms on my tank, 11X48 across the back and 11X17 on the one side too. I have them insulated with 5/8" thick Polly Pro Insulation board, was like $10 for a 4X8 sheet at a local building supply store. I secured the Ultratherms with duct tape then duct taped the insulation to the tank. I have my temperature regulator hooked up to the large UTH and the small UTH is always on. My thought process is that if it was the other way around the big heater could possibly over heat the tank and it will be able to change the temperature more if needed by turning it off and on.

So far with the two heaters I haven't had any issues keeping my tank around 85 degrees. Without the second heater the tank was around 82 degrees. I wanted to be able to have a higher base temperature before winter set in here in Pennsylvania. That way if my apartment got cooler I wouldn't be scrambling ordering another UTH trying to raise my temperature. I am a firm believer in starting off with too much heat since you can always add a thermostat to cool down the tank. If it's too cold you still need to buy another heater for the tank or crank the heat in your house. If you live in a southern with mild winters you probably don't need to worry about a second heater.

I also had enough of the insulation board to insulate the front, other side, and top of my tank incase of a power failure. They are precut and on standby behind my couch ready to go.
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Ultra therm

Post by fandt94 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:41 pm

I’d like to try and insulate a little better myself but since what I have is working I’m just going to stick with it for now. I also have my larger UTH plugged into a thermostat for the same reason you do haha! The other smaller one is always on. I also having some back up unused UTH’s in case something fails.

I like your idea of having more insulation ready to go in case of a power failure....we rarely lose power but I’d hate to do so during Winter! Thanks for the idea :wink:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Ultra therm

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:18 pm

My temp is still not up enough!!!! I had the ultra therm on few days now maybe a week or a day or two less then a week so I'm alil worried .. I wanna insulate ! My crabbie is moving around eating but its low ! So if I insulate I'm worried it still wont go up enough and my house gets cold !!!! So wondering what all I need to do before it gets colder cause it getting pretty cold already and I'm already struggling with the heat temp !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Ultra therm

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:19 pm

The uth from. Zoomed was worth less it warmed one corner of the tank that's it and my crabbie actually stayed away from it .. lol ... so I got the ultra therm and he seems comfy but i know wont be enough and the temp is low

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

RiNiKy506
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: Ultra therm

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:03 am

Hermie escape artist wrote:The uth from. Zoomed was worth less it warmed one corner of the tank that's it and my crabbie actually stayed away from it .. lol ... so I got the ultra therm and he seems comfy but i know wont be enough and the temp is low

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I had the same thing, the ZooMed just isn’t big enough. I haven’t had too many problems since I got my ultratherm, I will need one more smaller ultratherm for the side when winter comes. I have a towel on the back of it now, I still want to get the insulation board to get my temp up bc it’s at 77 right now.


♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Ultra therm

Post by Hermie escape artist » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Hermie escape artist wrote:The uth from. Zoomed was worth less it warmed one corner of the tank that's it and my crabbie actually stayed away from it .. lol ... so I got the ultra therm and he seems comfy but i know wont be enough and the temp is low

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I had the same thing, the ZooMed just isn’t big enough. I haven’t had too many problems since I got my ultratherm, I will need one more smaller ultratherm for the side when winter comes. I have a towel on the back of it now, I still want to get the insulation board to get my temp up bc it’s at 77 right now.


♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->
Mines is at like 67 at times .. ... use to be way better ... was thinking of getting another ultra therm for the whole front ... like that back but idk it might be to hot or get one for half the front or something ....
I still.need to insulate !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Ultra therm

Post by Hermie escape artist » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:19 am

Well it's the whole top of the back not covering the substrate

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User avatar

RiNiKy506
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: Ultra therm

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:38 pm

Hermie escape artist wrote:Well it's the whole top of the back not covering the substrate

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That’s how I have mine too, I put a towel on to cover the back and top and it really helped bring the temp up until I get it insulated. Insulating will make a huge difference to help redirect the heat back into the tank. Cover the side that the ultratherm is on, half the top, and the sides with a blanket or a towel until you can get the proper insulation, it will help a lot.


♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Post Reply