Ultra therm

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

fandt94

Re: Ultra therm

Post by fandt94 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:17 pm

Insulating will help tremendously!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 pm

Also check the placement of where your gauge is. I was just moving mine around a little bit. Right next to the main UTH on the back of the tank 3/4's up from the substrate to the top of the tank it spiked up to 96 in a few minutes. I moved it to the front of the tank at substrate level and is reading 79. That's 16 inches forward and 8 inches lower between the two positions! The humidity also changed drastically too 66 to 84.

You may want to move your gauge around every hour or two to a few spots and see how different of readings you are getting around the tank. You are trying to maintain an average tank temperature so you will have hotter and cooler spots in the tank. Your crabs will move to what temperature they want to be at.

Like fandt said adding insulation will direct a lot more heat back into the tank rather than just heating air outside the tank. That's one of the reasons an older house tends to cost more to heat in the winter, because they did not insulate them the way they do now.

I would probably start by moving my gauge around to see how different your readings are. it won't cost anything but a few minutes of your time to do that. If you don't see any changes then I would insulate the Ultratherms.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Also check the placement of where your gauge is. I was just moving mine around a little bit. Right next to the main UTH on the back of the tank 3/4's up from the substrate to the top of the tank it spiked up to 96 in a few minutes. I moved it to the front of the tank at substrate level and is reading 79. That's 16 inches forward and 8 inches lower between the two positions! The humidity also changed drastically too 66 to 84.

You may want to move your gauge around every hour or two to a few spots and see how different of readings you are getting around the tank. You are trying to maintain an average tank temperature so you will have hotter and cooler spots in the tank. Your crabs will move to what temperature they want to be at.

Like fandt said adding insulation will direct a lot more heat back into the tank rather than just heating air outside the tank. That's one of the reasons an older house tends to cost more to heat in the winter, because they did not insulate them the way they do now.

I would probably start by moving my gauge around to see how different your readings are. it won't cost anything but a few minutes of your time to do that. If you don't see any changes then I would insulate the Ultratherms.
THANKS OK YES !!! I had the temp gauge closer to the heater and it was much higher !!!

That makes me feel better... I moved it cause I thought the whole tank needed to be that temp so I out it on the "wall" across..so it could be further away from the heater so I could get a better idk reading lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

p2gg86

Post by p2gg86 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:33 pm

Very useful informations. I also need to get a new uth soon. It's getting cold in my area and I do not want any crabs freezing!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk