New tank & need some help with heating

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermycrabitat21

New tank & need some help with heating

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:34 pm

Hello fellow crabbers! I have not posted on here in a few years due to some life changes but I am back & ready to dive back into the world of discussing crab things with other crabbers. I just moved & upgraded my 53 gallon tank to a 75 gal & I'm having a tough time with heating. Previously i had used the repti therm UTH & it worked great in the old tank but with my 75 gal I decided to try reptile basics UTH. I have it taped on to the back of the tank with electrical tape due to the fact that it is not sticky. But the temp has not raised past 74 degrees. Should I try insulating? What do I use to insulate a UTH? I have glass lids & I have them taped down to further prevent heat escape.
Started Crabin December 2010, Currently as of 11/2018 I have 12 PP's & 1 E.
Crabs leave pincher prints on our hearts<3

fandt94

Re: New tank & need some help with heating

Post by fandt94 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:11 pm

I have mine insulated with cardboard and aluminum foil. I first wrapped the cardboard in the foil...shiny side facing out then taped it over the UTH...I’m sure others will pop in with other ideas like using styrofoam as well...I didn’t have any on hand at the time so I used the cardboard.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:05 am

I would definitely try insulating. Home depot has this awesome stuff called reflectix.... it's kinda like the car shades you put in your window to keep your car cool in the summer months. Its great, and much easier than aluminium foil and cardboard. both work well though, so whichever fits your needs!! :)
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Hermycrabitat21

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:00 pm

Awesome thanks so much! :crabbigsmile:
Started Crabin December 2010, Currently as of 11/2018 I have 12 PP's & 1 E.
Crabs leave pincher prints on our hearts<3