Winter Temps

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
hermiwormi

Winter Temps

Post by hermiwormi » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:40 pm

I've heard crabbers mention monitoring temps more in winter. Do they mean monitoring for high temps because it gets warmer due to the heat being on? Or watching for cooler temps?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Re: Winter Temps

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:43 pm

I think maybe a little bit of both, watching for too cold but then with all the heating devices, make sure it’s not too hot. I could be wrong.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Motörcrab

Re: Winter Temps

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:10 pm

I believe it can be both. Using more than one heater can get the temperature higher than needed. I use an additional heater on my tank in the winter with my main one hooked up to a thermostat. That way it turns off and on as it is needed. I still check several times a day to be sure everything is still in the safe zone.

You will also want to keep an eye on your humidity as well. Generally in the winter humidity drops in most houses so that can cause it to drop in the crabitat as well.

I like the Acurite dual gauges. They will also give you the high/lows of of both for a 24 hour period in case you missed a rise or drop.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities