Exo Terra fogger ok for my hermies?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Sage_Exotics

Exo Terra fogger ok for my hermies?

Post by Sage_Exotics » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:38 pm

So I’ve got a big hermie build in progress. I’ve got the Exo Terra unltrasonic fogger which I’m planning on using. I was looking at it and realized it was metal. I tried to figure out what metal it was. I don’t think stainless steel as it’s easy to scratch, and looked up what it was made of. Can’t find the type of metal anywhere. It wouldn’t be hard for me to keep my hermies from touching it, and just allow them access to the fog. So can I use it?

crabby33

Re: Exo Terra fogger ok for my hermies?

Post by crabby33 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:59 am

A lot of people on this forum caution against using foggers, due to concerns about flooding. Moss pits and bubblers are preferred.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:07 am

Is this it? It’s housed in nickel-coated brass.

http://www.exo-terra.com/download/produ ... Manual.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Sage_Exotics

Post by Sage_Exotics » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:17 am

Never heard of flooding. Interesting. Here in Canada it’s super dry, and I’ve been having humidity issues with my temporary 15 gal. I’d really like some way to keep the humidity upon my tank (90 gal) and I’m gone most of the day. I’m also planning a trip over Christmas break where I’ll be gone for at least a week. Do moss cup thingies really work that well? And by bubbler, you mean I’d be putting an aquarium bubbler in the water dish or something?

Topic author
Sage_Exotics

Post by Sage_Exotics » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:22 am

JoeHermits wrote:Is this it? It’s housed in nickel-coated brass.

Yep that’s it. Could I use it and just give the hermies access to the fog? And only for a short amount of time every once in a while?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Sage_Exotics wrote:

Yep that’s it. Could I use it and just give the hermies access to the fog? And only for a short amount of time every once in a while?
Truthfully, you probably could if you’re careful. Maybe when the top few inches of sand get dry?

The device vibrates heavily, so it should be out of the crabs’ reach, anyways.

Topic author
Sage_Exotics

Post by Sage_Exotics » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:14 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Sage_Exotics wrote:

Truthfully, you probably could if you’re careful. Maybe when the top few inches of sand get dry?

Thanks! Will do. When I’m on my trip could I put it on a timer to go off maybe once a day for very little time?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Sage_Exotics wrote:
JoeHermits wrote:
Sage_Exotics wrote:

Thanks! Will do. When I’m on my trip could I put it on a timer to go off maybe once a day for very little time?
I think that would work. If you can get it to release into a container to “catch” excess moisture before it seeps into the substrate, that would be even better.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:42 am

Those foggers are a great cheap option, but they are prone to wear and tear.... and everyone I know that has one, says they don't last long.

(Using distilled or RO water is meant to prolong the lifespan of this unit, so I would suggest using a small dish for it filled with RO. I would also suggest covering the cord with some cut up airline tubing, crabs have been known to cut through wire...)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Sage_Exotics

Post by Sage_Exotics » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Those foggers are a great cheap option, but they are prone to wear and tear.... and everyone I know that has one, says they don't last long.

(Using distilled or RO water is meant to prolong the lifespan of this unit, so I would suggest using a small dish for it filled with RO. I would also suggest covering the cord with some cut up airline tubing, crabs have been known to cut through wire...)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah the dumb thing shorted out. Never even got the crabs in the tank. I’ve got a waterfall in there too so thanks for the tip, I’ll use some tubing.