Too bright..?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Moniris

Too bright..?

Post by Moniris » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am

Hey all,

So a few days ago I was fiddling with the timer on my light bar and screwed it up so now the night light turns off before the daylight comes on. That's not the important part. I noticed that my crabs have been further from their den in the mornings and even when I stay up really late (1-2 in the morning) I don't see them coming out. I've covered up a lot of the light but how do I know if it's too bright in there? I thought crabs were supposed to have night lights too unless I totally missed the mark on that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Tamatoa ◆ Possum ◆ Apollo ◆ Racer
Instagram: @home_defense_crabs

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Too bright..?

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:00 am

Darkness at night is better for the crabs, unless you have to have a light for heat. (And even then there are lightless options.) A light at night is only for our benefit to watch them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Moniris

Post by Moniris » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:03 am

wodesorel wrote:Darkness at night is better for the crabs, unless you have to have a light for heat. (And even then there are lightless options.) A light at night is only for our benefit to watch them.
Ah that makes sense, I'll make sure to turn it off then :) thanks as always wodesorel!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:48 am

Is complete darkness okay? I usually cover my tank with a sheet at night because we are getting ready for work, but once we leave all the lights are off and the sheet stays... Should I leave a hall light on or something to have even a LITTLE light? Or is completely black dark okay?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Moniris

Post by Moniris » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:58 pm

ciaraalston wrote:Is complete darkness okay? I usually cover my tank with a sheet at night because we are getting ready for work, but once we leave all the lights are off and the sheet stays... Should I leave a hall light on or something to have even a LITTLE light? Or is completely black dark okay?

I've got some RGB lights running around the underside of my desk, I am just gonna leave those on tonight and see if there's more activity from the crabpatriots tonight.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:01 am

ciaraalston wrote:Is complete darkness okay? I usually cover my tank with a sheet at night because we are getting ready for work, but once we leave all the lights are off and the sheet stays... Should I leave a hall light on or something to have even a LITTLE light? Or is completely black dark okay?

If the blanket isn't too thick, I'm sure it would be fine. Even then, having a small section - like one side 'open' - may be all thats needed to have best of both worlds...

But thats me, I have very little idea on how sensitive their eyes are to light...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies