Under the tank heater?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Huckleberry

Under the tank heater?

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:10 pm

I have had an under the tank heater for a while now and my crabs seem fine with it, but I have recently been told that those are hazards to my crabs and the substrate? Should I remove them?
Proud crabber since 2009! I am so glad I found this site, I have learned so much about hermit crabs since joining. They are so much happier and healthier now! Thank you HCA!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Under the tank heater?

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:34 pm

If it's underneath the tank then yes. They are not designed to heat through more than a 1/2 inch of substrate. Doing so will result in colder air temps, and can cause the pad to overheat or even catch fire since it's trapped between a stand/surface and the substrate.

They are safe to use on the back of the tank, where they heat the air, and excess heat can escape. Most crabbers end up going with UTHs because they are easier to use and safer for the owner than heat bulbs.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:44 pm

Thank you! They are safely on the back. : )
Proud crabber since 2009! I am so glad I found this site, I have learned so much about hermit crabs since joining. They are so much happier and healthier now! Thank you HCA!

SLEPTAS

Post by SLEPTAS » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Okay I've seen alot of people say put it on the back not the bottom and just so I dont confuse my self this means on one of the sides of the tank right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Yes! On one of the sides, preferably the longest one.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:38 pm

SLEPTAS wrote:Okay I've seen alot of people say put it on the back not the bottom and just so I dont confuse my self this means on one of the sides of the tank right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
On the outside.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi