Crabitat humidity and temp (cold weather)

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

BlookittiePC

Re: Crabitat humidity and temp (cold weather)

Post by BlookittiePC » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Riceyandspicy wrote:
curlysister wrote:Re - insulating a tank with under tank heaters mounted on the sides or back. If it's a Ultratherm (which you attach to the glass with electrical tape), you can put insulation over top of it. If it's a Zoomed (or one that the actual heater is sticky), you can insulate around it but not over top of it.
This is exactly what I use on my hermit crab tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can find Ultratherm uth at reptilebasics.com or beanfarm.com. they are a bit pricey but work really well. The sticky ones you get in the pet store just don't generate enough heat. Get one that covers the back of your tank from the top of the substrate up. And you can insulate them. You can use reflectix tape. You can find it at home depot. Oh, and you tape the ultratherm to the tank. Bulbs will dry up the humidity as you've seen. Seal the entire lid with saran wrap. And you csn cover the tank with a blanket.
Mine wasn't making enough heat so we got the bigger one and added it. Both the heaters together make it warm enough in my ten-gallon.
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:02 pm

I always go with whatever size UTH will cover the most area on the back of the tank. On my 10 gallon isolation tank I have an 11 x 17 zoo meds that covers almost the entire back. I believe that it is called out for a 55 gallon tank. Not a 10-20 gallon.

Don't forget most manufactures are selling UTH heaters for reptiles so they can have a "warm spot" to lay. Hor our crabs we use the heaters to try and heat the entire air space inside of the tank so you will naturally need a larger heater to cover the larger area.

With having a larger heater you may need to purchase a thermostat to hook up to the UTH so it does not overheat the tank.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 pm

I now have two heaters on the back and one on each side. I went more by sizes that would fit, rather than the size that it was supposed to heat. Two are Zoomed and two are Ultratherm. Yes, putting insulation OVER a zoomed is a fire hazard. Like someone said, Reflectix can be used, or some people use cardboard covered in tinfoil I believe.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Riceyandspicy

Post by Riceyandspicy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:21 pm

curlysister wrote:I now have two heaters on the back and one on each side. I went more by sizes that would fit, rather than the size that it was supposed to heat. Two are Zoomed and two are Ultratherm. Yes, putting insulation OVER a zoomed is a fire hazard. Like someone said, Reflectix can be used, or some people use cardboard covered in tinfoil I believe.
So i can only put reflectix on ultratherm or flukers heat mats?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:44 pm

Riceyandspicy wrote:
curlysister wrote:I now have two heaters on the back and one on each side. I went more by sizes that would fit, rather than the size that it was supposed to heat. Two are Zoomed and two are Ultratherm. Yes, putting insulation OVER a zoomed is a fire hazard. Like someone said, Reflectix can be used, or some people use cardboard covered in tinfoil I believe.

Yes. Any others insulate around it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Riceyandspicy

Post by Riceyandspicy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Riceyandspicy wrote:

Yes. Any others insulate around it.
So I can put reflectix tape only around it? How would that look?