Need help finding heat source

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
wildhogking

Need help finding heat source

Post by wildhogking » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:15 pm

I have two purple pincher crabs and with winter fast approaching I need help choosing a good heating source before my crabs freeze. I read through the main topic about all the different lights and everything but am not sure what is best for me (i am still new at caring for crabs).

I have a 10 gallon glass tank and my window has been keeping them warm since summer but it's getting colder. I know when it gets cold I have to move them away from the window so I need something that provides light and heat during day and just heat during night. I have been trying to find a top for my tank that has a heat-light already on it but not much luck. I think I am going to have more luck buying a screen top and then one of those daylight incandescent bulbs and a lamp clamp to clamp it on. However if I read it correctly those won't heat it during the night so should I buy an infrared incandescent light as well for night?

Or am I completely wrong and should go about this in a different way? I don't want to spend a lot of money but I will if I need to. Also I would appreciate specific recommendations since I am having trouble finding the right lights online to buy. Thanks!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need help finding heat source

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Why not just get a UTH on to the side or back of the tank? Lighting can disturb crabs, and also prone to drying out the tank (decreasing humdity). Plus it may be a lot cheaper, than buying a new light and light set - and then potential further issues!

Many reccomend getting a UTH to cover the entire back of the tank above the substrate layer, which usually holds it around 80F. (A good brand that many swear by are Ultratherms, FYI!)

As for lighting, if the tank is moved to a location/room that receives daylight, they will be fine and still have a day/night cycle.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
wildhogking

Post by wildhogking » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:47 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Why not just get a UTH on to the side or back of the tank? Lighting can disturb crabs, and also prone to drying out the tank (decreasing humdity). Plus it may be a lot cheaper, than buying a new light and light set - and then potential further issues!

Many reccomend getting a UTH to cover the entire back of the tank above the substrate layer, which usually holds it around 80F. (A good brand that many swear by are Ultratherms, FYI!)

As for lighting, if the tank is moved to a location/room that receives daylight, they will be fine and still have a day/night cycle.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Well I had been against UTH because that was my original heating system and it didn't heat the tank AT ALL, but it just now occurs to me the one I was using was a really cheap and terrible one obviously designed for those horrid little plastic cages you buy the crabs in, with no substrate. I think I'm gonna go with a UTH now, thanks!

However I also need to know if they NEED the UVB or not? I can't really put them in an open window, just a closed one. Will they die without UVB, like a reptile? OR will they still get it from a closed window (i.e through layer of glass). Thank you though!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:27 pm

As far as we know, they are not like reptiles and UVB is not a must. However, they seem to do better when UVB is provided, so if you can it's not a bad idea.

UVB does not pass through glass at all. It's tricky to make work with hermits.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:34 pm

There is a sticky topic with everything you need to know about lighting at the top of this section.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 26&t=92543

UVB lighting isn't necessarily needed for most species. Although some people have reported their crabs being more active and having brighter colors. I use one for my Strawberries and they do seem to prefer the side of the tank with it although the food is on that side, the wheel, and moss pit.

I use a plexiglass lid on that side with a 6" hole I set the lamp over. When not in use I cover the hole with a plastic bag or bubble wrap to hold in humidity.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:55 pm

My first UTH didn't do much as far as heat either. Don't go by the number of gallons it says it will heat - get the biggest that you can, to cover as much as the space above the substrate on the back as possible. I actually have multiple heat mats, two on the back and one on each side.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Amlesa

Post by Amlesa » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:10 pm

I also have a Uth on the back and one on each side of my tank to keep it at 84 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk