Getting the New Tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Jamison

Getting the New Tank

Post by Jamison » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:23 pm

I am finally moving my two small hermits from their temporary five gallon to their new bigger tank. I am excited to build it but I need your help. I have a few questions:
1. What is a good size for them? I don't have much space so I can't go very big.
2. What is a good brand? I have a strict budget of 120 dollars right now.
3.How do I construct a second level?

I will make updates, but I can't move them into the tank right now because they are both molting!
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

AwesomeHermit

Re: Getting the New Tank

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:30 pm

I would recommend a 20 gallon tank for two small crabs. I would wait until your local petco has a Dollar per Gallon sale, which makes a 20 gallon 20 dollars, and since the lid costs 20 dollars than he total tank cost is 40 dollars. You could use a net or a plastic locker organizer as a second level.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:13 pm

I would also agree on the 20g, a 29g would be a good option if you have the space - 29g is the same footprint as a 20g long, just taller!

I would also suggest looking online at secondhand sites - like craigslist and ebay - and see if you can find a cheaper deal there! It doesn't have to be watertight, or perfect - since its for crabs not fish - so a discounted glass aquarium thats not good for fish is still a great and cheap home for crabs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:56 pm

Hello! I personally recommend buying used tanks. You will get more tank for your money, and a lot of times you will get extra stuff that you can use (lid, decor..)

I personally recommend apps like OfferUp, LetGo, Bookoo, 5miles and also checking out Craigslist, and FB marketplace. Search reptile, aquarium, fishtank, fish tank, terrarium. :) Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:20 pm

Used tanks are great! I just cleaned up a very dirty and very free 55 gallon! Looks like new now!ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:12 am

Like everyone stated used tanks are the way to go. We scored a 75 gallon with a stand for $150 last summer. Put the word out to family, friends and neighbors too. Generally someone they know a friend of a friend has an old tank that has been collecting dust in a garage just taking up space they want to get rid of. My moms neighbor was going to throw our 6 or 7 tanks her husband collect over the years. We got all of them for free because she wanted them gone. Xenocrab posted one of them. It still has a price tag on $99.99 on it. It was gross from being outside but we lucked out and it was free.

I also heard on here reptile rescues and sanctuaries sometimes have more tanks than they know what to to do with. You may be able to give them a "donation" and get a great deal it would also be helping the rescue and the animals too. It's a win win!

With a $120 budget I would work backwards. Pick a size tank you want then figure out your supplies. Sand, eco earth, heater sizes, tank tops, and so forth. Money goes pretty fast once you start adding things up. Keep the price of a new tank as the last thing to budget. If you have enough left over for it great! If not that's the price you need to find the tank for. If that doesn't work go down another size until you are in your budget. For sand figure approximately one 50 lb bag for every 10 gallons. We just bought play sand at Lowes today it was $4.15 a bag.

With the 55 gallon we are getting ready we are estimating around $200 with all the stuff we need. Heaters, Insulation, glass top, heat and humidity gauge, water pools, sand for the substrate and so forth. Luckily we have plenty of hides, decorations and food dishes for inside the tank. Thats with having the tank.

The biggest thing is not to rush searching. If it is something you can put off for a while it will pay to take your time. I have seen people selling used tanks for new prices and others at awesome prices. Just know what a new one costs and what supplies you can use that come with it. Some people are easier to haggle with in person when you are waving $30 in front of them instead of $40 compared to over the phone or text. Length of time they had it for sale is a big one too. If there was something listed 2 hours ago they will be less willing to negotiate than something that has been listed for a month.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:43 am

I have found a used reptile tank for fifty. It is kinda strange size. It's 18.8. I have to order it and then pick it up. I will post a pic when it is set up!
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!