Number of Adoption Crabs for our new 55 gallon.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Number of Adoption Crabs for our new 55 gallon.

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Xenocrabs and I just set up a new 55 gallon tank for two separate adoptions we are planning to pick up next Saturday. We also saw a new adoption for 3 PP's we could easily pick up on this trip. Only an additional 30 minutes for an additional adoption. I know the original crabs will fit just fine in the 55. I'm unsure of adding the additional 3 due to overcrowding.

Here is the breakdown of crab sizes based off the descriptions I received and according to the HCA. I split them up by location to make it easier.

Ashburn: 3 medium (little smaller than a golf ball), 1 small

York: 2 medium (quarter size), 2 medium (1/2 dollar size), 1 XL/Jumbo? (tennis ball), The big guy is currently down "a month or two" so we won't be picking him up until he surfaces.

Fairfax: 3 Large

Here is the totals by size:
1 small
7 medium
3 Large
1 XL/jumbo (picking up at a later time)
The XL may be a Large

We currently have 10 inches of substrate in the 55 gallon, and two 5 cup containers for water pools.

We were reading JMT's Crab Per Tank Guideline and the more we read the more confused we got.
We also read the Crabitat: Tank Size, How Many Can You Have? Near the end it states that tanks 55 gallon and up can also handle more than the numbers listed. We calculated the crab space by each number and that came out to 52.5 gallons for everyone.

The 3 Large in Fairfax are the ones I am questioning for being safe to add. I know we will eventually need an additional tank down the road. For now based on the numbers I believe all these crabs would put us at the limit of the tank.

I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are for crabpacity of the tank. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Number of Adoption Crabs for our new 55 gallon.

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:51 pm

If it were me, I would go for it. The likelihood of every single crab surviving to the point where their size become an issue is small.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:01 pm

That's what I was I was leaning to. The one person also said they would come with foods they purchased from you.

Looks like we will try to add these guys to our crab trek on Saturday.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:39 pm

I saw that. It breaks my heart my heart she has to give them up, I know she loves and spoiled those crabs. I am so glad you and Xeno are the ones getting them!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram