Bad Floors

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabby Fritos

Bad Floors

Post by Crabby Fritos » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:52 pm

When I reconstructed my tank, I needed to replace all the substrate. I sadly ran out of EcoEarth and was forced to use standard bark chip reptile bedding. Long story short, it is complete garbage. It absorbs no moisture. It creates pools of standing water that I can't get rid of. It has also started spawning some small white moving dots. (With wings, not maggots) The crabs are buried so I can't examine them for predatory mites or replace the substrate. What can I do about these bugs and water?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bad Floors

Post by curlysister » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:36 pm

If they aren't harmful bugs, you may not need to do anything about them - can you post a photo of them?

As for the water, if there is standing water, the crabd underneath could be at risk. Can you carefully make a small hole along the glass (ie- push a chop stick or something similar down along the glass), and see if there is actually standing water in the bottom?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

soilentgringa

Re: Bad Floors

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:11 am

They’re most likely springtails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk