tank question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Lazerdms

tank question

Post by Lazerdms » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:39 am

What is everyone using in your tank straight sand. straight Eco Earth, mixed or something else
I have beach sand in mine now but getting a bigger tank This is all new for me and grandson
Thanks

ha_haley

Re: tank question

Post by ha_haley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:40 am

5:1 ratio of play sand to eco earth is what most people here use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 am

We usually try to keep the 5:1 ratio of playsand and Eco Earth for our tanks. Some people also use either straight sand or Eco Earth. Even a mixture thats richer or leaner ratio on Eco Earth.

I believe the most important thing with the substrate is to mix it with dechlorinated water and to cand castle consistency. Once again it can be either fresh or salt water. We have tried both.

After reading a lot of posts about substrate everyone usually mixes it differently. The only thing that stays the same is dechlorinated water and keeping it to sandcastle consistentcy. The HCA recommends the 5:1 ratio but everyone mixes it slightly different.

It's confusing but if you stick to the basic guideline you will be fine.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:00 pm

I use the 5:1 ratio. I have had my crabs for 8+ years, and have upgraded tanks twice in that time. I have never thrown away all the substrate, I have just added more and mixed it together when upgrading to the next tank. I used dechlorinated fresh water to moisten mine when I first started, mostly because I hadn't read about the salt water yet, LOL. Of course I do have to add water (use fresh dechlorinated, not salt) to it to keep it moist on top and on the edges where the UTH heaters are, but I find it holds pretty well and my humidity has never been a problem.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:05 pm

5 parts sand 1 part eco earth. Dechlorinated fresh water til it's sand castle consistantsyImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:22 pm

If you buy the bricks of eco earth it's cheaper than ready to use. It just takes time to get it ready.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:19 pm

I mix mine with dechlorinated marine saltwater (Instant Ocean). I also have never thrown away substrate. I use the Eco Earth bricks as well due to cost effectiveness. I stick to the 5:1 ratio as well.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 pm

I do 1/2-1 brick of EE per 50 lbs of sand, marine salt water to mix.

Over time leaf litter, crushed shells, tree bark, and worm castings also make their way into the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Lazerdms

Post by Lazerdms » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Thanks for all the help just order Eco earth brick, with the brick is all I have to do is pull it all apart ?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:55 pm

Lazerdms wrote:Thanks for all the help just order Eco earth brick, with the brick is all I have to do is pull it all apart ?
Actually you have to soak it (in dechlorinated fresh/saltwater) for awhile, pulling it apart as it softens.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:58 pm

Lazerdms wrote:Thanks for all the help just order Eco earth brick, with the brick is all I have to do is pull it all apart ?
The eco earth bricks will absorb warm dechlorinated water the fastest. Now just decide if you choose to do freshwater or marine saltwater. Don't forget to use your dechlorinator as well :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Lazerdms

Post by Lazerdms » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:06 pm

I was going to use fresh water, now in my tank I was thinking of having a small pond with salt water and one with water
any thoughts, where is everyone getting there instant ocean from I did not see any at pet smart

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Lazerdms wrote:I was going to use fresh water, now in my tank I was thinking of having a small pond with salt water and one with water
any thoughts, where is everyone getting there instant ocean from I did not see any at pet smart

Petsmart carries Instant Ocean. It is in the fish section.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Yes, you are absolutely going to need one pool of dechlorinated fresh water and one pool of dechlorinated salt water. I order my Instant Ocean online.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 am

I do also, Amazon sells it really cheap :) Also, our local Petsmart and Petco honor their online prices in their stores. :)