Resurrection Plant

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
LandFishh

Resurrection Plant

Post by LandFishh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:03 pm

So I have a patch of empty background right above the second level. I was thinking I'd suspend a very shallow bowl of fw. This water wouldn't be for drinking. I was wondering if a resurrection plant/dinosaur plant (Selaginella lepidophylla) would be safe for the crabbies. It is native to deserts, but it simply hibernates and rolls around to find moisture. I would think it'd thrive in the moisture of the shallow bowl and crabitat. It is also very durable so if the crabs found a way up there, I'd think it would be close to fine. I also already have a pothos, but I figured the more natural plants the better. Is this plant safe and a good idea? If not I'm perfectly open to any bromeliads. Any suggestions for nice bromeliads/air plants?

Also, on the (un)safe food list I was wondering what makes regular bamboo safe for crabs and lucky bamboo unsafe. Not that I was thinking of adding any, just curious.

Thanks for the responses in advance! :crabbigsmile:
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

Xenocrab

Re: Resurrection Plant

Post by Xenocrab » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Crabbies eat everything. Are your plants safe edibles for them?
And crabbies don't know what water is for drinking and what's not for drinking. They will drink what they want whether it's for drinking or not.
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:04 pm

Yes I know they'll eat/drink whatever they come across. The bowl will be hanging so it'll most likely be out of reach for drinking from. I'm just not sure if it's safe for them to eat.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 pm

If in doubt, leave it out!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:09 pm

Ok then. I'll look for a good viney bromeliad that'll cover up my background's bald spot.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:29 am

Most likely you won't find a viney brom, they tend to just grow in clumps. If you want viney, the pothos you have is probably best suited, once it is allowed to grow in.

The reason why lucky bamboo isn't recommended due to plants in the Dracaena containing high levels of Saponins. While this toxin hasn't been tested yet with crabs - it may not be - but its best to err on the side of caution. In saying that, many plants contain saponins; so the concern over saponins may be slightly 'overrated' and in fact not as harmful as we think - many have had dracaena species in their tanks for small period of time without any effect on the crabs.... Whether you risk it is up to you, but I - and many others - would really encourage not to add lucky bamboo to the tank.

(There's dwarf species of bamboo anyways, which grow around a foot tall! So they are a good compromise! )
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:44 pm

I was thinking an air plant that could kind of hang off, or drape over, somehow. For now I can't find anything but I will continue my search for nice broms. I suppose it'll probably come to me getting a few air plants and bunching them together against a hanging stick. I remember somebody on this forum making a nice tat with a mostly natural environment, with some really cool plants draping over the sides. I forget who. Oh well, I'll see...

I wasn't planning on adding any to the tank, due to it not really making sense in the crab's climate. Lucky bamboo tends to grow nicely in moderate climates, drenched. I was just curious about what could make it unsafe. However, I'd imagine it'd make a good climbing plant considering the durability of the nodes of bamboo (Nodes are basically hollow stems).