Plans for a 20 gallon long

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
SandersJoey

Plans for a 20 gallon long

Post by SandersJoey » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Hello, I just had some questions regarding my plans for a 20 gallon crabitat. Although I would like the questions answered, I am also looking for feedback on my potential set up. Nothing has been purchased, everything is in planning so that when I decide to purchase Ill know exactly what I'm doing. Thanks for the help ahead of time! I will post the questions I have at the end of my plan. Here's what I'm thinking: The tank is 20 gallons long and will house three small to medium purple pinchers. Humidity and temperature will be kept at 80 and 80, measured using a digital therm/hygrometer. Substrate will be 100% eco earth at six inches deep. I will provide the proper shells, decorations and other necessities. (Things such as a proper diet, two kinds of water, hiding locations and climbing decor, etc) Now for the questions: What kind of lid would do? I was thinking an aquarium hood.
Ive been doing research on the water bowls, and have seen the rule of thumb "make sure the crab can fully submerge itself, with a way to climb out". Would two plastic containers about four inches deep and a climbing ramp work? I am open to suggestions! As for heating, would a uth placed on the back side really provide adequate heating for the entire tank? Is indirect sunlight and placement in a room with a window acceptable? And lastly how should I keep the humidity high? Thank you and sorry for the strange format, I am writing this on an old tablet.

AwesomeHermit

Re: Plans for a 20 gallon long

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:42 pm

First of all, welcome to the HCA! I personally have a mesh lid and covered it with custom-cut plastic. I would assume that 4 inches would be a good size as long as there is a ramp, like you said, and the crabs can fully submerge themselves, also like as you said. I would not recommend having indirect sunlight as that can make your tank very hot during summer. I use bubblers, a moss pit, and spray occasionally to keep the humidity high.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 pm

I recommend 5 parts play sand to 1part eco earth. They are beach animals and need sand. Mix with dechlorinated water til it's sand castle consistantsy. Make sure the water dishes are deep enough for them to fully submerge in. We use glass lids on all our tanks. We also keep them away from Windows and direct sun. An ultratherm heater placed on the back, with insulation works great for the whole tank! We have a 75, 55, 30 and 20. Our heat and humidity stay consistent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
SandersJoey

Post by SandersJoey » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:41 pm

Thank you all for your feedback! I will look into glass lids as well as play sand from my local hardware store. Is a long tank necessary or can a standard 20 gal suffise?

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:13 am

SandersJoey wrote:Thank you all for your feedback! I will look into glass lids as well as play sand from my local hardware store. Is a long tank necessary or can a standard 20 gal suffise?
I think that is personal opinion amd preference.

Here are my perspective
A long tank has more surface area thus more room to roam and decorate.

A standard might be a little deeper so you can put in more substrate (you have to check measurmets but I am pretty sure I remember correctly.)

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom