Placing Heaters

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Placing Heaters

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:23 am

Ok so spring is right around the corner and I am going to purchase a heating pad for my 2 hermit crabs :banana:. I don't really know where to put the heating pad once I get it.....does it go on the back or the side? I've been told that putting it on the side is best so they have a warm and cool side but i don't know. :? It's a 1 time thing for those little boogers to stick so I wanna do it right :hlol: Thanks a ton guys!!! :hearts: I have a 10 gal. tank.
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

crabby33

Re: Placing Heaters

Post by crabby33 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:41 am

You can put it on the back or side. But people will tell you to never put it underneath for hermit crabs. I like to think of hermit crabs as obligate burrowers when they need to molt and because they tunnel, there are concerns the molter could end up on top of the heater and bake to death. People don’t want to risk killing their crabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:33 pm

I think the back is better. It will cover more area to warm. Especially since you are getting the sticky ones that honestly aren't very effective. They will have a cooler zone toward the front of the tank. If you then still need more heat then add a heater on the side. The heater should cover the entire back of the tank from the top of substrate to lip of top.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:27 pm

I would say back as well. You can fit a bigger one to heat more area. Ignore the gallons information in the package and just measure it to the tank getting the biggest that will fit. Like mentioned you can always add one on the side if needed.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

rocknrolla

Post by rocknrolla » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:55 pm

I cover entire back side with ultratherm right above the substrate line. I am planning to get temperature controller that is used for reptile so it can be turn on and off automatically for warmer days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:32 pm

:clap: Ok thanks guys!!!
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:56 pm

My tank is in a room where the temperature can fluctuate (upstairs, old farm house, no a/c in summer, baseboard heater in winter). I have two heaters on the back and one on each side. This allows me to plug in all (like right now in -40C winter) or none (like in +30C summer). It works well for me.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers