How long should paint dry?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
odelayheehoo

How long should paint dry?

Post by odelayheehoo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 am

We recently painted some wooden decorative pieces for a room, and we did it outside, but I am wondering if the small amount of woody paint smell is a concern, as these pieces smell when near them. Does this pose any risks to my crabbies, or should it not be something to worry about?

Thanks! :)
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: How long should paint dry?

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:00 pm

What did you paint them with? I've done rooms twice with the hermits in them with no issues. That was just low to no VOC indoor paint.

Oil-based and spray paint will off-gas harmful things for a while. I go three to four weeks before bringing it in. That is mostly for me, because the paint smell gives me migraines until it fully cures.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:56 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:00 pm
What did you paint them with? I've done rooms twice with the hermits in them with no issues. That was just low to no VOC indoor paint.

Oil-based and spray paint will off-gas harmful things for a while. I go three to four weeks before bringing it in. That is mostly for me, because the paint smell gives me migraines until it fully cures.
It was Krylon spray paint.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:59 am

I'd personally give it a couple more days to air out.... but thats me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies