Should I consider UVB?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Should I consider UVB?

Post by angelbearpuppy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:44 pm

I have a 10 gallon set up with a screen lid currently covered with plastic. I know the screen will filter out some of the UVB from what I understand. I also know that they are recommended more for exotics.

I own 1 E and 2 PP

How beneficial would running UVB be for them, and what would I need in order to do so safely and properly?
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Motörcrab

Re: Should I consider UVB?

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:57 pm

Here is the caresheet to lighting and UVB bulbs. It goes over a ton of options.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 26&t=92543

When I set an UVB bulb up for my 75 G with strawberries I referenced the ZooMeds UVB Guide.
https://zoomed.com/care-education-center/#uvb-lighting
I measured the high and low areas around where the bulb would shine then determined what bulb was the best suited for direct lighting. I ended up going with the ReptiSun 10.0 Mini CFL bulb.

Between the info on the HCA and ZooMed caresheets and how the screen weakens the power of the bulb I opted to get a piece of plexiglass cut for half of my tank with a 6" hole cut out so the bulb will shine directly into the tank. It works great in the summer when the house has a higher humidity. Now with the indoor humidity around 30% I need to use my normal glass lid to maintain humidity so the UVB is not as effective as in the summer.

People have claimed the UVB bulbs help to improve colors and activity. I can't say for sure how much the bulb has an influence. I also keep my tanks between 80-85 degrees which is said to increase activity. Plus I also offer plenty of color boosting foods for my strawberries. Strawberries are known to be more active than purples so it is difficult to say for sure how much it helps. My purples only seem to come out after the lights go out so it is safe to they do not benefit from the UVB. The two that currently are up are a deep shade of purple. My Straws range from a very dark ripe strawberry color to almost the color of an orange peel.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:57 am

I'm not sure how finances might factor into things, but UVB has a decent buy-in price for the light fixture, and the bulbs need changed every 6 to 12 months depending on the brand as the UVB outputs fails over time. I'd urge you to put that towards a tank upgrade for the three you have now instead. Es are like moles, and need a lot of space when kept with other crabs. When it comes time to molt, it can be dangerous in a smaller tank.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:17 am

Alright thank you.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:14 am

yes a UVB is good if it is a heat light but keep the heat within the 70-80 range. also keep the humidity high but not above 90 and not below 70.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:27 am

purplepincher wrote:yes a UVB is good if it is a heat light but keep the heat within the 70-80 range. also keep the humidity high but not above 90 and not below 70.

Heat can be up into the mid 80’s or even higher depending on species and the humidity can be higher than 90, as long as the tank is being monitored for oversaturation and flooding. There is no “too high” humidity but an ideal range because it’s a closed tank and not in the wild.

The temps in their natural habitat (pp’s) range from high 60’s-low 70’s to mid 80’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:04 pm

oh okay. thanks for telling me. i will bring my heat up a little bit.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!