Settling

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Overmountain1

Settling

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:27 pm

I know I’ve seen some information on here, and maybe it could be added to the substrate info for reference BUT-

How long should you let the substrate settle before adding the crabs? I know it takes a little while, but in others’ experience, about how long?

I’m scared to add the crabs too soon, for fear of one digging down to molt and possibly getting trapped by it simply settling.

Dave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo-Dumbo~Billy

angelbearpuppy

Re: Settling

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:28 pm

I have never worried about it. As long as it is the correct consistence. I have always just added them back in when I was done. Never had any trouble. I didn't even know that was a thing or a concern. Now you have me second guessing myself lol.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:02 pm

As anglebearpuppy said as long as it's sandcastle consistancy it shouldn't collapse. It does settle over time but that's fine.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:11 pm

I never let mine settle, I added them right away. I did add quite a bit extra so when it did settle, it wasn’t too low. I didn’t want to have to add anymore later on, that would make me nervous.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Topic author
Overmountain1

Settling

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:26 pm

Awesome, that makes me feel much better. I just noticed how much mine settled after I had it in there for a while; and since I’m planning to make it even deeper in the new one, it made me start wondering if it could cause problems down the line. Like, if one dug pretty far down, say a small, and he’s under 8 inches of fluffier substrate that still makes a cave just fine, cause it’s still wet sand (damp/clumpy w/e lol) but point being, I just was already thinking of them being under for a month at a time, and wondered how much it might settle around them. I just wanted to be sure it still allowed them ease of climbing back out when they were ready! You’ve made me feel better though. I’m hoping to have it ready by Sun-Mon, but it depends on the heating pad and when it arrives mostly.

I’m already adopting 3 more! A lady from Fl is letting go of her 3 med-lg, and I offered an adoption fee (as suggested) and she said no take them bc I was the only one to ask about them and she wanted them to go to a good home. They’re in a wire cage (which was probably more fine in FL I’m sure) but with only an inch or so of substrate from what I could tell. And then she tells me one of them is just finishing molting- and I’m thinking where? Maybe she ISO’d him, I’m not sure. She seems to think he will be ready and fine for me to pick up, but that he will still want quiet time when we get here. I’d have to share the text but I won’t do that either. Just paraphrasing. It makes me super nervous! Hopefully by next week his exo will be hardened- at least enough to move carefully in a moss lined container? He’s already surface molting I guess. In a painted shell.
Anyone want to give me any suggestions on what to watch for with this one I will be picking up? Thanks- a bit of a unique situation for me here.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:44 pm

I usually like to let my tank sit for a day before I add crabs. I'm not worried about the substrate settling, I like to let the humidity and temperature balance out. Thay way by the time you add the crabs everything should be stable. I like to to it but usually don't. I'm usually to excited to see what the crabs do in the new tank. Lol.

Your driving to Florida for crabs! Sweet! I thought we were the only ones that would drive all day to rescue/adopt crabs. I never dealt with a surface molter before. I would check the molting section I'm sure there are several topics about surface molts.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:16 pm

Oh non! Lol- sorry! She’s just moved here recently I guess, but she is almost 2 hours away! That would be cool of me, wouldn’t it? And Florida sure would be nice right about now too!!

No, but I did think of you when I spoke to the person with 13 crabs they need to rehome and want to keep them all together if possible! I’m sure you need more! Enabling. I’m the best.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:04 pm

We ALWAYS say we are done. Then we see a post of crabs needing help. 14 rescues since the end of last year is good. The week after our big rescue we ended up rescuing a P and a straw with a bum leg. We still have one potential crab to pick that has been down for a while. I need to send a check up message actually.

We do have several more tanks just in case!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Overmountain1

Settling

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:22 pm

Oh did I mention they’re getting rid of their 125 gal with them?

I promise if I had the space for one right now I’d already be on the way, but I’m lucky I got what I did. We have sooo much to clean out of this house we are considering bringing in a full dumpster! It’s that bad- and it’s not just our stuff. We inherited a bunch of ‘stuff’ from my in laws when we got the house. Anyway, until that’s done, and for a while, the 75 is my max! Not by my own limitations of course. I’d be happy with a 100 of them really, they’re just so funny. Anyway, yeah, come with the very large tank too I believe!

thepickerexchange

Post by thepickerexchange » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Overmountain1 wrote: 75 is my max! Not by my own limitations of course. I’d be happy with a 100 of them really, they’re just so funny.
You have 75 crabs?! Image Sounds like a full time crabby mama gig!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk