best size Ultratherm to use for 40 gal tank and putting netting along back wall

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Claudia

best size Ultratherm to use for 40 gal tank and putting netting along back wall

Post by Claudia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:15 pm

I recently got a 40 gal breeder tank (18x36 and 17" high) and I want to double check the size of the ultratherm I'd need before I order. Beanfarm has Ultratherm Heat Pads 11 x 35 in. for $36 so it seems this would cover the entire length (left to right) of the tank, and at 11" that leaves me 6" for substrate. So is this ideal or would it get too hot? (I think they had a 6x35 too which is why I'm double checking) ... also could a net (like a crocheted hemp net) be attached inside the tank along the back wall (where the UT heater would be) - trying to figure out how to both camoflauge the look of that heater showing through the wall as well as maximize their climbing space, since they won't have a whole lot by the time 6" is substrate. I don't think putting something like cork bark would be safe (along the wall where the heater was on the other side) but I'm guessing a net would be. Thoughts?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: best size Ultratherm to use for 40 gal tank and putting netting along back wall

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:37 am

I dont tend to worry as much as others do if some of the substrate covers the back of the UTH. And also, my room can get cold and would rather have a larger one to keep temps up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

doth

Re: best size Ultratherm to use for 40 gal tank and putting netting along back wall

Post by doth » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:29 am

I agree with Aussie! Plus ultratherms are safe to use with a thermostat so if you find it gets too hot you can always do that.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Claudia

Post by Claudia » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:13 am

I went ahead and ordered the 11x35 .. I never used a thermostat. If I end up needing one of those, are there recommendations for the best one to get?

doth

Post by doth » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:09 am

I don't know brands, but there're ones that just turn the heat source on & off vs ones that actually modulate the intensity of the heat source, and the latter are better. (that said, I have a cheap on/off one cause I got it for free, lol.)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk