Decorations

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
mortemarts

Decorations

Post by mortemarts » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 am

So I wanna spice up my tank since it’s pretty bland at the moment.
I’m tossing the decorations away since they are pretty old. I ordered some more moopani wood and chola wood. However I would like to put fake plants in the tank.

Would it be ok to use fish tank decorations? (like the fake plants)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Decorations

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:41 am

I used fake aquarium in the past in my tank. I personally like to go to Hobby Lobby and get their all plastic vines. They end up being cheaper than aquarium plants. They are around 6' long so you can cut them to whatever size you need. I usually zip tie them to Cholla wood and on fish net. My last few visits they had them for 50% off between $8-$13 a piece. I also dip them in boiling water to clean them.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:13 pm

I noticed a sponge in your water dish - these aren't necessary and only harbor bacteria, I would throw it out if I was you.
Water bowls/ pools also need to be deep enough that your crabs can submerge fully, but have a way to climb out.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:19 pm

Try getting a very small exercise wheel for them to play on. I heard those are great hermit crab decorations/toys
I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:51 pm

Once crabs find the wheel they are always in it. At the moment I have a purple and a straw in the big wheel and another straw in the smaller wheel. I already saw five or six crabs in and on a wheel at the same time in my wife's tank! Be sure to add crafting mesh to the inside so they can grip it better too.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities