Water Pool Tray Size? Too Big Or Too Little?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Water Pool Tray Size? Too Big Or Too Little?

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:21 pm

After having to redo the 75 the other week it was suggested to add trays around the water pools. They will help catch mist from the bubblers and with the stones help keep the water cleaner. So far so good they seem to be working as planned.

My biggest concern is how much space they take up in the tank. Each of the trays measure about 12" x 9" each. That's taking up roughly 1/4 of the substrates surface. Once I added the wheels, Cholla, food/ calcium dishes and hides there isn't much area left for the crabs. The tray aren't burried so all the substrate is avaliable for digging and molting underneath.

I would like to eliminate one tray and put both pools in it. I'm just afraid that I may be defeating the purpose of the trays if they don't catch water. For my water toppers, cabanas, I have three sides open for access to the water. I thought about having the closed sides at each end. That would give them two entry points to each pool. The other openings would face to the other pools. I believe that will be fine for them to get to the water. My only concern would be with the pools being so close having the salt water contaminate the fresh.

I also added an inline gang valve to the bubblers to be able to control the air pressure more.

Any advice or thoughts would be awesome. I'm sure I am way over thinking this. Thanks.

Full view of the tank with both pools.

Top view showing how much room one takes up.

Putting two pool into one tray. Enough room on the sides but they are close to the ends.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Water Pool Tray Size? Too Big Or Too Little?

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:30 pm

That could work!

Another idea is to elevate the pools slightly, by using a level - one could even be made out of eggcrate ;) - and then walking space and hiding space is increased - not to mention available surface area.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:45 pm

With your water cabanas... Don’t they catch most of the water or do they still put off that much mist that you still need the trays? I apologize, I know that doesn’t help you at all. Just wondering if you could eliminate the trays.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:24 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:That could work!

Another idea is to elevate the pools slightly, by using a level - one could even be made out of eggcrate ;) - and then walking space and hiding space is increased - not to mention available surface area.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I was thinking about trying to put them on a second level. I have about 7" of substrate. There's about 12" between the top of the substrate to the glass top. The tray and water dish measure roughly 4". 8" with the tops. That would give me 4" under, and 4" where the pools are. That could work.

I'm thinking without the tops the mist of the bubbles will collect on the glass lid then run out.

I'm almost certain I'm pondering this waaaaaay too much. Just trying to think of several options then pick the best.

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:34 am

Hi just a random question did you get the funny hermit crab signs on esty?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:14 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:With your water cabanas... Don’t they catch most of the water or do they still put off that much mist that you still need the trays? I apologize, I know that doesn’t help you at all. Just wondering if you could eliminate the trays.
The cabanas are containing most of the water compared to wide open pools. I'm more than likely just being paranoid due to the flooding and bacterial blooms we just had using bubblers in both those tanks. A little over spray I'm sure will be no different than a little misting.

I'm thinking I can probably downsize to using one tray and be safe. I also added the inline valve to turn the air even lower. Both of those additions should really cut back on the over spray.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:15 am

Cococrabgirl! wrote:Hi just a random question did you get the funny hermit crab signs on esty?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
I actually found them on Amazon. I believe I searched "hermit crab sign".