Heating help

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Heating help

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi. I have a twenty gallon tall tank, and I purchased a heater from amazon (the biggest size) to put on the back of the tank. My temperature in the spring was around 79-82 or 83 F, and in the summer has been around 81 or 82-86 or 87 F. Is that too hot? One time I unplugged it for around an hour (probably not sure how long), and it dropped into the 70’s. What should I do? Should I get some smaller heaters to put on the side and use those or what?
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heating help

Post by curlysister » Mon May 27, 2019 1:57 pm

My house varies so much with temperatures - the only way I could keep the temp in the tank a decent range was to have multiple UTH's. I have two on the back and one on each side. My tank is upstairs in a room in our old farmhouse, no air conditioning for summer, and baseboard electric heat for winter. I live on the Canadian Prairies where it can be +40C in summer and -40C in winter!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 pm

curlysister wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:57 pm
My house varies so much with temperatures - the only way I could keep the temp in the tank a decent range was to have multiple UTH's. I have two on the back and one on each side. My tank is upstairs in a room in our old farmhouse, no air conditioning for summer, and baseboard electric heat for winter. I live on the Canadian Prairies where it can be +40C in summer and -40C in winter!
thank you, I would love any more advice and an answer for how hot and cold is ok for the tank. :)
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:26 am

We have our heaters hooked up to a thermostat we purchased from amazon for around $20. You put a probe from the thermostat into the tank, plug the heater into the thermostat, plug the thermostat into the outlet, and set what your high temperature limit. The thermostat will control the tank from getting over your desired heat level.

80-85 degrees is safe for all hermit crabs. Purples can handle temperatures as low as 75 degrees. I would think your temperatures are still safe for short periods of time. You can have a big difference in temperature depending on where you place your thermostat. I always like to spot check several areas with my thermostat to make sure I have an average tank temperature between 80-83. Near the heater it will be in the mid to upper 90's, the front of the tank may be 78. As long as your crabs can mover to different areas to regulate their body temperatures you should be ok. If your crabs are still too warm they will try to bury in the substrate to cool off.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:30 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:26 am
We have our heaters hooked up to a thermostat we purchased from amazon for around $20. You put a probe from the thermostat into the tank, plug the heater into the thermostat, plug the thermostat into the outlet, and set what your high temperature limit. The thermostat will control the tank from getting over your desired heat level.

80-85 degrees is safe for all hermit crabs. Purples can handle temperatures as low as 75 degrees. I would think your temperatures are still safe for short periods of time. You can have a big difference in temperature depending on where you place your thermostat. I always like to spot check several areas with my thermostat to make sure I have an average tank temperature between 80-83. Near the heater it will be in the mid to upper 90's, the front of the tank may be 78. As long as your crabs can mover to different areas to regulate their body temperatures you should be ok. If your crabs are still too warm they will try to bury in the substrate to cool off.
thank you! I have/probably will look into thermostats. :D

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:49 am

Motor, is this the kind of thermostat? It sure would make my life a bit easier, LOL!

https://www.amazon.ca/Inkbird-Temperatu ... pons&psc=1
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:13 pm

That is a similar type to what we have. We have been using a brand called I Power ones for about a year now with no issues. They really help keep a steady temperature year round. My temperature stays within two degrees of my temperature setting. I like knowing I have more than enough of a heating source and keep a steady temperature rather than struggling to bring up the the temperature to safe levels. I saw a lot of people in the winter struggling to keep safe temperature levels.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E9IO6N0/re ... bDbR97W9SH

I use two heaters in the winter as well. I plug the smaller heater on the side directly into the wall and use the thermostat on the larger heater. I believe that makes it easier for the temperature to stay at a steady level..
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities