Here we go...

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Overmountain1

Here we go...

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:38 pm

So as some of you may remember I found a wonderful 72 gallon bowfront, with a stand, for a good price a while back. The stand was practically falling apart, just staples and a few nails and not sturdy... so we fixed it! We reinforced it with 2x4 lumber, painted it, added door pulls (sea glass) and latches inside as well.
We are going to attempt our own version of a drain as well, so will be drilling the bottom of the tank. I’m really really nervous BUT I feel like it’s a necessary chance I need to take, with the payoff being larger than the risk. (I hope so!!)
I’m going to continue sharing on this thread and start sharing some pics, including pics of what we are using for the drainage system as well. When I get it all done and have had it for a little bit to ensure it works as predicted etc, I may even make a how to video. But that’s down the line! Point is, here’s what we’ve got so far, and there will be more coming soon. (Finally.)
The tank and redone stand-

The drain components. First the drill bit- we got a full set bc it cost about the same as a single one large enough for this.

The drain we are using comes from live fish wells, and includes crossbars in the drain- just in case. It sits almost flush with the glass; to install we will remove the collar and gasket, and the brass slips down thru the hole, with silicone as sealant, then add gasket and collar to tighten.
ImageImage
I believe we are drilling tomorrow, I’ll add more then! I’ll explain the rest as we get it done etc. it’ll just be simpler for me- if you don’t mind of course. Image

ImageDave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~GeneImage My PP clan
Last edited by Overmountain1 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Overmountain1

Re: Here we go...

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm

Soooo- it was definitely safety glass! Yeah... the instant it made it to the other side of the glass and punched out that piece the glass broke. Regrouping and pouring in a floor. More info to come.

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Here we go...

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Ouch. Did the whole bottom pane of glass break?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies