Sand or EE substrate?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Falcone

Sand or EE substrate?

Post by Falcone » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:49 am

I am going to move my hermies into a new tank, one that is slightly larger than what they are in now. I want to change their substrate from just sand to either sand and eco earth or just eco earth. I was wondering who uses what and how your hermies like what they are on!
Also, if you have sand and eco earth in your tank, what proportions are they mixed in? I've heard some people do 5:1, but I dont remember if it was 5 parts sand or 5 parts EE to 1 part of the other. I was also considering doing half and half.
Thanks guys!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sand or EE substrate?

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:44 pm

I have always used the 5 parts play sand to 1 part EE mix. It has always worked really well, keeps it's shape well and helps with humidity.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:35 pm

I use more sand than ee. Not any exact proportion. I have no issues with it staying the right consistancy.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:54 pm

I use play sand and Eco Earth. I just recently switched from a Fluker’s Beach Sand and EE mix, to just play sand and EE this week.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:58 pm

I mix. I honestly don't measure it, but it is closer to the 5:1
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:11 am

I use more sand than EE, but I don't really measure the amount. No issues with humidity, holds shape well too.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)