New crabitat condensation and heating

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
amhet88

Post by amhet88 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:11 pm

Hi everyone! I have a new crabitat and have some random questions that I couldn't find the answers to on the care sheets. First, I had read that a tank can get flooded and that concerns me, since my tank does have constant condensation. Are there any tips as to how to prevent this condensation and flooding? Also, I had installed 2 zoomed heaters on the back side of my tank halfway below the substrate before I read that they need to be above the substrate line. Does anyone know if the zoomed heaters can be carefully moved or should I leave them and keep dampening that area? Lastly I bought a zoomed hydrometer and there doesn't seem to be a way to calibrate it, does anyone know if that one is pretty reliable or should I just scrap it? I greatly appreciate any ideas! Thanks!

Sarahlynnrn

Re: New crabitat condensation and heating

Post by Sarahlynnrn » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:50 pm

Super curious on your replies . We are about 2 weeks in with the same condensation problem. I asked got advice to watch for flooding and that some open the lid sometimes. Neither seem like a great solution, just bandaids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:30 pm

There's a salt method to calibrate your hydrogemer. Keep it sealed in a container with the saltmoiatened, and your hygrometer should read 75% after a dY. It's linked in the humidity care sheet. Someone with more experience could answer about the heater movement,and other concerns

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:28 am

Some people have moved heaters by using a flat edge (like a spatula) once the heater has turned off an allowed to cool. It's very hit or miss, as it's very delicate. So if you're going to do it, be very careful!

As for the condensation, it can occur just to it being a new tank and once it stabilizes, the amount of condensation will decrease. It's really common for new tanks needing a maturation period, where heat and humidity can fluctuate. Another issue is condensation is due to temperature difference from the tank to the surrounding room temp. Warm up the room, and you'll reduce condensation from occurring. So a good solution is to insulate the tank to reduce temp difference.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
amhet88

Post by amhet88 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks for all of your replies! I'm still having the condensation problem so I'll have to wait it out a bit or find a way to insulate it. I'm going to carefully try to move the heaters but if that doesn't work I've read there are better heaters anyways than the zoomeds. I believe or at least hope my crab is down molting so I don't want to mess around with it too much at the moment fingers crossed!!🤞

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:06 pm

You can dry out the condensation with a paper towel so it doesn’t build up and drip to the bottom of your tank, I like to wipe mine every few days until it calms down. It should settle down as your tank stabilizes, like aussieJJDude said. Most people recommend the ultratherm brand heat mats, they are great. I got mine at https://www.reptilebasics.com. You can use duct tape or packing tape to attach them so they can be moved, they can safely be insulated over, and that helps with heating. I have also found they are cheaper than the zoomed brand. I love my ultratherm heat mats, I’ve had bad luck with other brands.