Beach Sand

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
IcedPineapple

Beach Sand

Post by IcedPineapple » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:48 pm

So I just got back from the beach and I thought it would be fun to bring back some sand to use in the crabitat. I know I need to bake it but for how long and at what temp?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Beach Sand

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Keep in mind beach sands can be polluted. A lot of US crabbers reccomend avoiding it, due to many beaches not being 'crab tank friendly'.

Best bet, if you do want to use it - at your own risk - wash it throughly, sift it to remove any foreign objects and bake on a low temp (lowest the oven can go IMO) for 30 mins or so.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

RiNiKy506

Re: Beach Sand

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:41 am

I took sand from the beach when I first got my crabbies and it was just different from the play sand, it stuck on them. I don’t know if there is a difference or even maybe just the location where I got the sand. Wash sand dry as aussieJJDude said if you use it.