Space

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Space

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:18 pm

I have a 90 gallon tank with, as far as I know, 8 pp's. They range from small to med/large. I know technically a 90 gal is large enough, but honestly, with all the holes, it is really hard to find a flat surface for the food dish. I have tried a 2nd level food area but there's no where a crab can really go quickly if he is pushed aside. I also have a 40 gal breeder with, as far as I know, 6 crabs. Same issue. Of course my dream is to get a 200+ gallon tank and combine all the crabs. My husband said I could have his empty 75g, which he was saving for a saltwater fish tank. I would switch over the guys in the 40. Maybe put one from the 90 in there too. But I would rather hold out for a really large tank. But in the meantime what do I do for space?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Re: Space

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:35 am

That would be so amazing, one large crabby colony, I think that’s every crabbers dream. I know this doesn’t help you too much but I think your tanks are perfect, especially the one I see in your videos. I am trying to look into tank toppers for added climbing space. I also have a 40gal, I have been looking more into what would fit into my 55 that I’m supposed to be moving my guys in. I’ve never even used my 55 and I’m still looking for bigger. The only thing I’ve had for second levels is hanging cocohuts or shower caddies. I did see this little storage shelf unit someone converted into a pool holder, so the pools are on top of each other. I wanted to try and copy that for my 40 to save on ground space. I loved your shelf you had your food on. It’s hard to find ground space with digging, sometimes if I see its just a hole, I’ll fill it back in and put their dish where it’s supposed to be. Or if I think it’s a tunnel I’ll try and build the ground back up a little to set their food bowl where it goes. I’m with you on this one, if anyone has any more ideas.

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:41 am

I believe someone has made raised dishes. That way the dishes are off the substrate.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:32 am

Jamison wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:41 am
I believe someone has made raised dishes. That way the dishes are off the substrate.
I would still think crabs would get pushed off.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:32 am
I would still think crabs would get pushed off.
Oh, I see what you mean. Sorry!
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Jamison wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:26 pm
Oh, I see what you mean. Sorry!
That's ok.