Ultratherm for 20 gal. Long

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Ultratherm for 20 gal. Long

Post by teachincrabbie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:09 am

Hello!

I’m upgrading to a 20 gal long and getting a new heater since I have the zoomed one and don’t think they will be safe to use once I take them off my 10 gal. I would like to get an Ultratherm. I think the 6x23 one would work so that I have a cool side of the tank. However I’m worried about the tank getting to warm. I live in Los Angeles (beach cities) so it does get to like 80 degrees already outside and inside my condo it’s warmer (we don’t use the AC). Is there a chance the tank will get to warm on those hot days? Should I get the 6x17 instead? Thank you!

PinchersAndShells

Re: Ultratherm for 20 gal. Long

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:16 am

A good idea may be to go ahead and get the Ultratherm (especially since you’ll probably need it in Winter), and get a thermostat to hook it up to. Thermostats help by turning the heat mat on when it’s too cold, and turn it off when it’s too hot. The one I use is from Amazon and is for germinating seeds (roughly $20), I set it to 84 degrees F and it will turn off at 84 degrees and turn on when the tank hits 82 degrees. Depending on how warm your apartment is in Summer you may just need a heat mat for the Winter months.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Is there a reason you are choosing to buy a 20 gallon long instead of the high? You will get more room with the high, and they are the same size as well, just a small change in length. The only reason a lot of people use the higher tanks rather than longer ones is because they allow for more room for substrate, and still enough room at the top for climbing.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:28 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:16 am
A good idea may be to go ahead and get the Ultratherm (especially since you’ll probably need it in Winter), and get a thermostat to hook it up to. Thermostats help by turning the heat mat on when it’s too cold, and turn it off when it’s too hot. The one I use is from Amazon and is for germinating seeds (roughly $20), I set it to 84 degrees F and it will turn off at 84 degrees and turn on when the tank hits 82 degrees. Depending on how warm your apartment is in Summer you may just need a heat mat for the Winter months.
Thank you! I’ll go with the ultratherm and thermostat.

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:34 pm

odelayheehoo wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:45 pm
Is there a reason you are choosing to buy a 20 gallon long instead of the high? You will get more room with the high, and they are the same size as well, just a small change in length. The only reason a lot of people use the higher tanks rather than longer ones is because they allow for more room for substrate, and still enough room at the top for climbing.
The only spot for the tank has a ledge above it for our staircase and a 20 gallon high will be too tall to fit.