lava rocks?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Sunflowerparty420

lava rocks?

Post by Sunflowerparty420 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:27 pm

I've decided not to go with the foam/concrete idea for a custom build structure since I live in such an arid, hot environment I don't want it to retain a lot of heat. I don't know if sealing it with cement or silicone will help, but it's a little too risky for me :(

A coworker of mine gave me a great idea: to buy lava rocks and break and rebuild them with aquarium silicone the way i want them. My only question is, would lava rocks from places like hardware stores be safe? Not the BBQ ones, more like the landscaping ones. They sell a lot more of them at a much lower price than pet stores offer them, so if it's safe (or i can make it safe) id rather go with that option.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: lava rocks?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:43 am

The landscaping ones are basically the same. Just usually not washed (pet store stones tend to be somewhat washed from my experiences.

You may find with larger peices, the silicone will not hold. So keep that in mind.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies