Rearranging decor

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Ronbo0032

Rearranging decor

Post by Ronbo0032 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:08 pm

My question... Can I rearrange the decor with the crabs still in there? I have 5 crabs but really only see 4 at a time. I really don't want to stress them out.

Also, just thought of another question... I'm currently at the beach and have been collecting shells to use as feeding dishes and other things, rocks, coral looking things, etc to add to the tank. Would that be okay and how should I clean the new rocks or coral looking things?

Thanks again for any and all advice

MauiMama

Re: Rearranging decor

Post by MauiMama » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Boil new items in dechlorinated water for about 20 minutes before putting them in your tank to sterilize them. I usually let them fully dry out before putting them in, but I'm not sure if that's necessary.
•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:27 pm

As long as anything you remove from the tank isn't buried at all, you can remove it. And putting items in, just don't press into the substrate. And boil anything in dechlorinated water before putting in the tank.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 pm

I believe Hermiesguardian's advice applies if there are any crabs under the substrate. If everybody is above ground, there would be no risk to them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:22 pm

curlysister wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 pm
I believe Hermiesguardian's advice applies if there are any crabs under the substrate. If everybody is above ground, there would be no risk to them.
Yup! That is exactly what I meant. Lol
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:06 am

Be wary of some rocks, as boiling can lead to them exploding due to being hollow - pressure builds up...

I honestly just give a quick scrub under hot tap water, which the heat/chlorine combo kills most things! The good thing is that after a couple of minutes, the chlorine evaporates off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:00 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:06 am
Be wary of some rocks, as boiling can lead to them exploding due to being hollow - pressure builds up...
I didn't know that! Yikes!
•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:24 pm

MauiMama wrote:
I didn't know that! Yikes!
Yeah. Me neither until I was talking to a group on a fish forum about boiling rocks to add to an aquarium, and they nearly had a fit. Haha

Been doing it for years too! :hlol:

(But I do think part of the issue was that I was boiling lava stone, which due to its porous nature is the issue. Its common for some parts to still have trapped air inside, whether it was from the formation of the stone or simply not releasing all bubbles prior to adding it to the pot.... Image )

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies