Installing UVB

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
carolinej

Installing UVB

Post by carolinej » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:38 am

I’ve got a 40 gallon tank (91cm long x 38cm deep x 45cm high) with 6 inches substrate. I’m currently using the glass lids supplied with the tank, but have some plexiglass available.

I’d like to add a light source, hopefully UVB.

Would one of these CFL bulbs in a fitting attached though a hole cut out in plexiglass work for a tank this size? I’m thinking this will be easier to fit in a location out of reach to the crabs than a tube given position of glass ledges etc

https://reptileone.com.au/products/lighting/46695

Is there any risk to crab health at this distance?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Installing UVB

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:26 pm

I dont think so. I have a CFL, and used a 13 watt 5.0 (and then 10.0) and observed no differences between the crabs.

But I used a CFL for the same reasons you did, as it was easier to use.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Is uvb recommended for all crabs? I have all PPs and never used them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5 store bought, 6 rescues and 7 adopted.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:52 pm

Xenocrab wrote:Is uvb recommended for all crabs? I have all PPs and never used them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It's something of, if you can set one up, theres some evidence to support that crabs do like it (and better colouration for us!) but certainly not required for successful long term keeping.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+