Updating crabitat! What are your thoughts?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
TrippMachine

Updating crabitat! What are your thoughts?

Post by TrippMachine » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:51 pm

Hows it looking so far? Just added a 5lb bag of Psand, salt and fresh water pools that my largest is submerged in (wanting to get bigger soon though), starting with a climbing 2nd lvl but ran out of time before work, their shell area is behind the palm tree bark (that I boiled like crazy) with about 20 shells in total everywhere from 1in to 3in, have there moss pit by the water half in a pot, at least 3 hiding places (I have more that will go on the 2nd lvl), I usually use a heating lamp because they always stay super far away from any pads no matter what size or where I put them but the tanks been a steady 80-85F humity 77-81 next to the window (momma PP loves to look out it and gets mad when its closed), have one of those thermostats that do humidity and heat but at the angle I took it you cant see it well (dont really know the best place to put it so i just centered it). They will be moved for winter dont worry. Also the lid was ajar due to me in the middle of moving everything and putting things in but it fully closes off the top.

Is there anything i should change so far? What's everyone's thoughts?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Updating crabitat! What are your thoughts?

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Looking good!
Do you mean a 50 pound bag? It's hard to tell how deep your substrate is?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
TrippMachine

Post by TrippMachine » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:42 pm

Yes 50 sorry Haha. Up to my elbow with only my finger tips toughing the bottom so over 12in. Big daddy likes to tunnel everywhere so it has to be DEEP lol

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:31 pm

Wow! That must be a big tank! Hard to tell from the picture.
Why would you move them in winter? If any of your crabs are under, you won't want to move the tank or you could collapse their tunnels/ caves.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
TrippMachine

Post by TrippMachine » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:01 am

It's right by the window and I've had others from other hermit crab groups message me like crazy going on about how they will freeze to death during the winter. Where I live it doesn't get that cold Haha. On the odd chance I did need to move the cage I would do it quite a while in advance when all 3 are up. But very unlikely that it's going to get to cold for them.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:40 am

Hahaha, you live in Texas, right?? I live in Canada, and have actually lived very far up north in the arctic....so I find the 'freeze to death' comment rather funny! :)
I have multipe UTH heaters - one on each side and two on the back - which I plug/ unplug depending on the season/ house temp. It's the only way I have found that I am able to keep the temp anywhere close to consistent.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:21 pm

I personally recommend that the minimum substrate depth be met throughout the whole tank. Then, you can do any slopes if you want. By burying your pools the way you are you are cutting down on molting space. I don't recommend that.

Edit: Also, if you have any safe trees in your area, I would recommend getting some branches from them. Hermit crabs love to climb. The trees would need to be free of pesticides and fertilizers. You would also need to make sure your city/town doesn't spray for mosquitoes or any other bugs via air.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com