Questions about lights and heating

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
KristenL0522

Questions about lights and heating

Post by KristenL0522 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:51 pm

Hello all! It’s me again! Lol I have a few quick questions about lighting and heating.
I don’t have any heat pads right now bc it’s summer and my temps are staying around 75, I know I will need one soon and am interested in what kind is recommended? I have a 29 gallon tank with about 6 inches of substrate with 3 small crabs in it.
I also just got a glass lid and maybe looking into getting a light in the future. Should I get an aquarium light? Or what else recommended? I don’t want it for heat or anything just viewing. Thanks in advance!

doth

Re: Questions about lights and heating

Post by doth » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:55 pm

ultratherms are good, you can get them from the Reptile Basics website. I'd recommend getting the largest one that will fit on the back of your tat. you'll want mount it on the back above or alongside the substrate line, never underneath.

for lighting there are a ton of options. this forum has a heat & lighting guide that is really helpful at breaking down the options.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

JoeHermits

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:59 pm

If you just want a light for viewing an aquarium light will do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:19 pm

I use a bedside lamp that I got on Amazon that works great. It has 3 different shades of light and a 3/6/12 hour timer. I clip it to the shelf next to my crabs. It has a bendable neck too so you can move it around.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F13 ... b10032.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

Topic author
KristenL0522

Post by KristenL0522 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 pm

Thanks everyone!! I’ve tried reading what it says about lighting but I couldn’t find the best information on what’s a good light to use.
I’m not sure why it never dawned on me to get a light like that!! Thanks CrabbyLover77!! Was concerned with putting a light on top of the glass and it potentially cracking or something but this will work great!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:12 pm

KristenL0522 wrote:Thanks everyone!! I’ve tried reading what it says about lighting but I couldn’t find the best information on what’s a good light to use.
I’m not sure why it never dawned on me to get a light like that!! Thanks CrabbyLover77!! Was concerned with putting a light on top of the glass and it potentially cracking or something but this will work great!
You're welcome! The lights are dimmable too and LEDs, so they don't get hot. Image Let me know how you like it if you get this one or one like it. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw