How often can you change the “furniture” in your crabitat?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Bgmarcel27

How often can you change the “furniture” in your crabitat?

Post by Bgmarcel27 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi friends!! Happy Labor Day to those in the states! I’ve been curious how often you can introduce new toys, fixtures or “furniture” in your crabitat without stressing out your babies? Clearly they make a mess each evening and do some damage while doing their evening excursions and I do a little “daily” cleaning and reset. That said...I do like to occasionally introduce new items (plants, hideouts, wood, etc.,) to keep them busy and intrigued with their surroundings.

I’ve read quite a bit on the site regarding substrate (& depth) heating/ humidity, fresh/salt water and fresh food yet can’t really find anything that outlines how often is “too” often to rearrange their surroundings?

I’ve read most people don’t do a complete “deep clean” and remove everything except a few times a year. I guess I’m really talking about moving a few things around in the tank and introducing new pieces. How frequent is too much to cause them stress?

Appreciate any pearls of wisdom from those of you who’ve been crabbing for a while. Thanks!

Motörcrab

Re: How often can you change the “furniture” in your crabitat?

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:58 pm

I have been wondering the same thing for a while. If it is something like adding a piece of Cholla, or a changing a hide for a new one I'll do that whenever. If it's a big change such as a total revamp of the tank I try and limit that to every few months if that.

All crabs react differently to everything. My one guy won't move if I pull the food bowl out and he's next to it. Others run the second they see movement outside the tank.

It isn't much help but my thought process with them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:07 pm

I've changed the location of the wheel and moss pit but I can't change anything on the ground because everything has become partially buried, and I don't want to disturb any tunnels, caves, molters. I can't wait till I do an upgrade. Have no idea when that would be.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:05 am

Mostly depends on the crabs, totally agree there. Because they are all so different it really will vary. I’d just watch their reaction after a big change and get an idea who loves it and who doesn’t, who is curious and who runs away to hide! You know what I’m saying here I think.
I have some crabs who are curious and will walk right into my hand, and I have others who stay hidden 98% of the time! Just play it by ear, you’ll know when the time is good.

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:34 pm

I think it is great to add things. This way their environment doesn't get boring. The main thing is don't move things that are buried because you don't want to collapse any tunnels.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:06 pm

Re- the deep cleaning. I have never replaced all my substrate, just added more as I upgraded tanks and as the crabs grew. If you have proper sub, the only time it may need fully replaced is if there is something like a flood or bacterial bloom.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

SamanthaFax

Post by SamanthaFax » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:51 am

I not only decided to change the furniture and room decoration of the tank, but I must do something in the room where the crab itself is located. Because my last crab ran away and my son was very upset.