Lighting question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Lighting question

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:12 am

I know they need light and darkness .. so my question is how light does it have to be for them .. my crabbie is in the hall way! (its a she this time supoosibly) this is what my daughter says ...
So she! Gets light from the bathroom window but it's small and my room ! Im gonna open the curtains so it can get to the hall but it's not really bright it's not dark but .. is this sufficient...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DevilNDisguise

Re: Lighting question

Post by DevilNDisguise » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:45 am

In my 20g long I've used a day basking bulb (mainly for heat, but helps with viewing), but for the 75g I plan on using a UVB strip along with just a regular fluorescent light, for added viewing, since I have a UTH along the back of that.

Some people simply rely on the natural room light, so as long as your tank is warm enough with the heat source you're using and not in complete constant darkness, I don't think it would be a problem.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:51 pm

DevilNDisguise wrote:In my 20g long I've used a day basking bulb (mainly for heat, but helps with viewing), but for the 75g I plan on using a UVB strip along with just a regular fluorescent light, for added viewing, since I have a UTH along the back of that.

Some people simply rely on the natural room light, so as long as your tank is warm enough with the heat source you're using and not in complete constant darkness, I don't think it would be a problem.
K thanks!!! Ya the temp im working on ! But it's at 77 right now , so pretty good. .. but it goes down I need to insulate etc get some more blankets !

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:05 am

Honestly it's a tough call. As long as there's some day/night cycle where the tank is situated, I wouldnt worry too much. Maybe a good rule of thumb, bright enough that you notice light, but not bright enough where strong light from a window will cast hard shadows?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:08 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Honestly it's a tough call. As long as there's some day/night cycle where the tank is situated, I wouldnt worry too much. Maybe a good rule of thumb, bright enough that you notice light, but not bright enough where strong light from a window will cast hard shadows?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks !!!

Elli

Post by Elli » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:40 pm

DevilNDisguise wrote:In my 20g long I've used a day basking bulb (mainly for heat, but helps with viewing), but for the 75g I plan on using a UVB strip along with just a regular fluorescent light, for added viewing, since I have a UTH along the back of that.

Hi I know this post was 5 months ago but i have just bought a 75 gallon tank and want to add a uvb strip as well. How di to attach yours so it's not obstructed by glass?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk